When installing Win XP on ES1-131, get "No Boot Manager" error

Options
abalsy
abalsy Member Posts: 5 New User

I got my Acer ES1-131 around 3 days back. It came with what I assume to be basic Linux. Anyways, I'd always planned to get the RAM upgraded to 4GB (the problem for that is in a seperate post) and install Win 7 or Win 10 on it. However, as my RAM upgrading plan has got stuck, I decided it would be better to install Win XP on it for a few days (until I can know if I can do the RAM upgrade). I had a copy of my Win XP disc on a portable HDD which I copied to a 8GB pendrive. After plugging the pendrive into the laptop, I entered BIOS mode and changed the boot order so that the first booting device was the pendrive. However, after the restart, instead of the Win XP installation starting, I get an error message which says "NO BOOTMGR FOUND, PRESS CRTL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART". However, even pressing those keys did not restart the laptop. I had to manually shut down the laptop. I did reattempt this process, but exactly the same thing happened. Why is this happening and is there a way to rectify this (and install Win XP) on my laptop??

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

If you just copied it to a pen drive, it's not going to work.Do you have another Windows computer you can use to make a install usb? If you do, follow this,

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-drive-from-your-windows-cd/

• abalsy
    abalsy Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, that did not work as well Smiley Sad I got the same error as the one I was getting with the earlier method "No BOOTMGR found". Even worse, when I decided to abandon my plans for XP and tried installing Win 7, I got a message that the CD/DVD device drivers were missing, and that I need to install them first. However, I looked up the drivers available for ES1-131 and I cant see any for the CD/DVD drive (as the laptop doesnt actually have an optical drive). I created the bootable installer (pen drive) thru 7-Zip. I will try and repeat the same with Rufus and/or WinToFlash. Any other suggestions??
  • philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

For Rufus to work, you need a Win 7 .iso, not a install disk. Win-to-flash will do it from a install disk.

I would change the bios to legacy.