Aspire Switch 12 disk upgrade

Chap
Chap Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Aspire Switch 12 which only has a 32Gb SSD. That was fine when it was running Windows 8 but I upgraded to Windows 10 and it now has no space left. I've done everything I can think of to free up space but it's not enough.

So, my question is - is it possible to upgrade the 32Gb SSD to a larger SSD? If so, how?

I realise doing so will almost certainly invalidate the warranty but if that's it takes then I'll take the chance.

Thanks.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer

Hello,

Do you known the exact model? SW*-***-****

France
  • Chap

Laurent, the model is an SW5-271

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer

Hello,

As I don't find a model with 32Gb of SDD, I have a little doubt about yours. Normally the SW5-271 series was shipped with a M.2 2280 SSD of 64 or 128G:

Spoiler
    KN.0600L.002FLASH DISK.64GB.SSD.NAND.M2.2280.B&M-KEY
    KN.0600L.003FLASH DISK.64GB.SSD.NAND.M2.2280.B&M-KEY
    KN.1280L.012FLASH DISK.128GB.SSD.NAND.M2.2280.B&M-KEY

May be you could check the SSD model by using HWiNFO portable version (no installation) and post here the part number. Thanks.

France
  • Chap

I'm sorry, my mistake, it has 64Gb not 32Gb.

But my question is still "is it possible to upgrade the 32Gb SSD to a larger SSD?"

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

It appears the Switch 12 has a standard M.2 SDD and is replacable.

Mine has a 64GB LiteOn IT L8H-64V2G. With a 128GB SD Card for data I have 32.6GB free with the latest updates.

I do show the L8H series to be available in 128, 256, and 512 GB.

Note, this is the long, narrow drive and not the squarish one that replaces a SATA drive.

• Chap

Does anyone know how to open up an Aspire Switch? I tried removing all the screws from the base but that didn't seem to make any difference; the base wouldn't separate from the case.

Is there a Service Manual anywhere?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

You need to gently pry on the lower case after removing the six screws to open. Then remove things including the battery to expose the battery board.

Then there is a screw connecting the battery board to the upper case. Then detach the battery board from the upper case.

Then there are four upper case screws to remove & detach the upper case from the LCD hinges. After disconnecting & removing the screws you need to pry to open the LCD back cover.

With the back cover open you should be able to see the SSD. It is secured with a screw.

This is not for the amateur, you really need to know what you are doing to work on the original Switch 12, it was not one of Acer's finest moments but was the first convertible to be able to run Win-64. I have one and always found it strange.

• Chap

Thank you Padgett.

"This is not for the amateur, you really need to know what you are doing"

When I said I'd tried to open the case, that wasn't strictly true. I'm a klutz and I'd have broken it. So, what I actually did was take it to one of the IT field support guys at the company I work for. They fix laptops all the time so I had more condidence in them doing it than me. Plus they had the right sized screwdrivers Smiley Happy However even they couldn't prise the case apart.

But now, armed with your reply, I'll ask them to try again. And see if they have a crowbar too.

• moeloo
    moeloo Member Posts: 2 New User

Do you know if a M2 512TB wil work in the Switch?

• moeloo
    moeloo Member Posts: 2 New User

padgett wrote:

You need to gently pry on the lower case after removing the six screws to open. Then remove things including the battery to expose the battery board.

Then there is a screw connecting the battery board to the upper case. Then detach the battery board from the upper case.

Then there are four upper case screws to remove & detach the upper case from the LCD hinges. After disconnecting & removing the screws you need to pry to open the LCD back cover.

With the back cover open you should be able to see the SSD. It is secured with a screw.

This is not for the amateur, you really need to know what you are doing to work on the original Switch 12, it was not one of Acer's finest moments but was the first convertible to be able to run Win-64. I have one and always found it strange.

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000274 EndHTML:000024333 StartFragment:000024107 EndFragment:000024156 StartSelection:000024107 EndSelection:000024156 SourceURL:http://community.acer.com/t5/Swift-Spin-S-and-R-Series/Aspire-Switch-12-disk-upgrade/m-p/460753/highlight/falseRe: Aspire Switch 12 disk upgrade - Acer Community - 459846

Do you know if a M2 512TB wil work in the Switch?