I want to restore an eMachines W3653 to factory software conditions.

Options
2»

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i suspected that,

you can try to copy the whole files to an USB flash drive (FAT32 formatted*) and mark the FAT32 partition as bootable, then reboot your PC with the USB flash drive inserted and pressing F12 at boot (if enabled on BIOS) select the USB flash drive as bootable device.

*please follow this instructions before copying the files:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/Create-a-bootable-Windows-installation-drive-using-Sandisk-USB3/td-p/299653

it's a very raw method and i'm not sure it will boot properly to a windows installation but it's worth a try.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Options

I don't have a USB flash drive with enough space, just an old 2 GB one. I tried to get it to boot from an SD card with the files put on it, though, and that did not work. Going by suggestions on other websites on how to make bootable flash drives, I tried clearing it out, making it active, and reformatting it in diskpart, and thought that might work out, but no. While I was in diskpart, I also tried setting the recovery partition active in that program as well, to see if that would make the computer boot to that. It seemed to do so, as the boot up screen in Vista was different, had no users listed, and I couldn't figure out what to put to log in.

I tried to install XP on my USB flash drive, and the SD card, from that disc for the Dell I mentioned previously, to see if that would work. The install wouldn't allow installing to the SD card, but seemed to have progressed ok on the flash drive, however after rebooting Windows won't start at all.

The screen says, "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

Maybe it changed the boot sector on the hard drive, even though I was using the flash drive. I did not expect such a thing to happen. Smiley Frustrated

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

XP doesn't support install on removable USB devices.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Options

Well, it looks like the only files added to the recovery partition was a boot.ini, but removing that isn't enough. It seems the boot sector must've changed, but I can't figure out how to fix that to run Vista again. Is there a boot sector tool I can run on my other computer, which runs XP, with the drive put into that computer, to redo that?