Should I RMA my X34?

dorsman
dorsman Member Posts: 13 New User

I just bought the X34 and I love it other than its backlight bleed issue. I am wondering if its even possible to get one of these with no bleed. Its not glow its definitely bleed in the top left corner. I found a photo online that looks exactly like mine that I have attached. Its very noticable when playing dark scenes in movies and games. I spent a lot of money on this thing and I want it to last years so I really dont want to stare at that bleed for the next few years. Should I just suck it up and RMA it? Does anyone out there have this monitor with no bleed like this in any corners? 

2015-12-02-image-2.jpg

Answers

• Kyede
    Kyede Member Posts: 8 New User

i have similir blleed on mine too..admitedly its not as bad as some of the 2k screens i had running at 165hz..its a lot of cash for minor prob but its there..did u get urs to OC to 100hz??

• dorsman

Yes I got it to OC to 100 without issue. I sent it back. I should have a new one by the end of this week. I am going to be so mad if I get another one and the issue is even worse or it has dead pixels or something. At that point I will probably just get a refund and try the ASUS one even though I hate the design of it.

• Kyede

thats great did u use the dp cable that came with the monitor? i can only get 95hz..what gpu are using..i have gtx 1080 which hould be more than enough to poer the monitor to 100hz..so frustrating..im prob gonna rma it and get an asus out of rutration..itsa top of the line so should get our money worth..who did u buy urs from and did they eccept the rma for the light beed?

• dorsman

Im useing a DP cable that I've had for years so no didnt even open the one that came with it. I am also using a GTX 1080. I bought mine from Newegg and I have a premiere account with them so they basically told me they would keep replacing it until I am satisfied or they would refund me. If I personally was only able to get 95 hz AND I had light bleed I would definitely RMA but thats because at this price I demand perfection. Up to you though for me it takes a week to get a new one which sucks. My new one should be to me by monday or earlier.

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

The light areas of the screen are related to IPS glow. IPS glow is a panel characteristic that is caused by the angle of vision when viewing the screen. This is due to the pixel structure of IPS panels. The curved screen makes this more pronounced.

Additional information about IPS glow can also be found on 3rd party websites such as the following:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • dorsman

Please look at the photo I posted above. There is a difference between IPS glow and light bleed. The top left corner has bad light bleed. Are you saying you consider that glow? Because I would have to disagree.

• RidingTheFlow
    RidingTheFlow Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon

Simple rule - if it disappear at long (> 2-3m) perfectly straight distance, its glow. Bleed does not disappear even when looking perfectly straight (yes, glow caused by angle).

But really, it does not matter how you call it. Monitor with massive blotch of light on background that should be dark (or, at least, uniform dark grey) - is a defective and/or bad quality monitor. You don't need to argue of semantics how to call the defect Smiley Happy

• dorsman

Totally agree. When I was gaming in dark scenes with mine I would see the bleed clear as day only in that corner. So because I paid so much for it that kind of ***. So I sent it back. Was just trying to see on this forum if any other people had gotten one of these monitors with no bleed like that. I am fine with glow and realize its natural.

[inappropriate content removed]

• RidingTheFlow

I beleive some are better than others - but they often just trade corner for splotch in some other place along edge.

It looks like diffuser sheet is just not precise enough (and Acer does not try /and/or/can't make it precise), so it each one has "random undulations", and for some specimens these look better - and on *very* rare ones it just happens to be quite precise curve so almost perfect uniformity (but these probably 1 in 10 ratio or less).

• dorsman

Thats really disappointing to hear considering the price of this thing. For 1300 dollars I expect perfection. Fine with glow but I shouldnt see bleed in one or two random areas. I am giving this thing one more try. The new one should be to me by the end of the week. If it has the same issues then I will consider just refunding it and trying the Asus but I did hear that those use the same panel as these.

• RidingTheFlow

Yes, I was through nightmare of buying modern monitor myself recently (went through 3), and investigated situation quite throroughly. Asus is not really any different, same panel, same issues. Only costs more so you may as well just save the money.

For me most disappointing thing was not that quality did not match cost, but simply because it was *impossible to get guaranteed quality*, even if you are willing to pay 2x times more (and I've even investigated lot of so called "professional" ones).

• dorsman

So you went through 3 of these or a different monitor?

• RidingTheFlow

I've looked many in shops, friend's office (graphics/gaming), trawled tons of feedback, videos, you name it.

And then tried to actually buy - personally wen't through 1 x Z35 and 2x XB321HK. Latest I've kept - mainly because it was *just acceptable* and best I could reasonably get - but by no means perfect.

These 34-inchers I've decided against straight away, they among worst in quality variance - probably because curve makes it harder to keep diffuser uniform and IPS makes it very visible.

• Kyede

the fact that asus guarantee 100hz tells me their alvittle more fussy about the panel they put in..i really  realy like this acer and dont want to send it back and get an asus but so far ive ssen many more positive with the overclock and bleed..im going to take few more days to ponder then make the descsion..its a shame as i was very excited to get this great looking piece of tech but cant denty my small dissapointment right now (just bugs me the 94.8 hz on my fps counter.. it shoud show 100hz lol) ans i do have some bleed in lowe left corner..its like a gold mist

• dorsman

Yeah I figured the curve was making the bleed even tougher to get rid of. The next model of x34 has even more curve too. I wonder if their quality control will have to improve a lot to produce good ones of those. Mine probably made it through because the bleed didnt even show until I had used it for 20 ish or more hours.

• dorsman

Yeah a gold mist is a good way to describe it. Same way mine looked and my eyes would go right to it when viewing darker content.

• RidingTheFlow

One of the reason I didn't keep Z35 (even while really wanted to) was because 1800 curve is just too much - everything looks bow-tied. Another reason was horrendous black smearing (and acer clocked it to 200Hz, yeah right, panel can't even manage 60Hz without bad blur sometimes).

But at least with VA diffuser uniformity does not matter that much - you can see clouding, but you have to really struggle to, unlike on IPS.

• dorsman

I went with the X34 because I wanted 1440p, gsync, and ultrawide. So for me its this or the Asus or Im gonna give up until someone else makes a panel like that. I did love my X34 I just hated that  bleed...

[inappropriate content removed]

• RidingTheFlow

You may try exchanging until you find a better one, or your patience runs out - don't give up yet Smiley Happy

• Kyede

let me knwo if u get 100hz withe the new one