Migrate OS to SSD?? G9-591-70XR

Options
Jango
Jango Member Posts: 6 New User

At the end of August I purchased a Predator 15 (G9-591-70XR) from the Acer Recertified store. Shortly after I received it I noticed when I opened File Explorer the only present storage drive was the C drive, and it was labeled as "SSD" with 256gb of total storage. So, first thing I do is check Disk Management and it shows that the C drive (labeled as SSD) had a total storage capacity of 931.50gb. I thought to myself," I'm pretty sure this specific laptop came with a 256gb NVME SSD and a 1tb HDD"?

Turns out the 1tb HDD was re-labled as SSD and formatted with one 237gb partition, and the SSD had yet to be formatted. But then I check the total available storage for it and it says there's 476gb, meaning that this G9-591-70XR came with more storage than it was supposed to. And also, to make it even more weird, it came with 8gb of VRAM which is twice the amount it's supposed to. (Not complaining ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

As far as I know, the Acer Predator laptops are supposed to come with the OS installed on the SSD, but considering what I just explained, I'm assuming the OS is indeed installed on the Hitachi 1tb HDD instead. And I can at least confirm this as I removed the HDD and the the "No Bootable Device" appeared. But to make it even more weird, in the boot order settings it shows the Samsung SSD in the list rather than the HDD. I'm sort of a noob with this kind of stuff and I'm just really weirded out by this. Perhaps my laptop is just a lemon? 

Really all I'm wanting to do is have my OS installed on my SSD, but idek know what to think anymore lol

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

about the SSD size, can you post the exact model?

can you please check if your BIOS is set to Legacy or UEFI?

if it's not set as UEFI, please set it and then (without the HDD installed) do a clean windows 10 install and then download Acer software from Acer support website if needed (drivers only if windows 10 can't find it or have some errors).

before putting back the HDD, please backup yours files and then wipe the HDD or it can create a boot conflict.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-10-Installation-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/ta-p/394236

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Jango
    Options

SSD Model: NVMe Samsung MZVPV512 and Bios is set to UEFI. I checked the F12 boot menu and it shows the 1tb HDD as the boot drive, but in the bios it shows the ssd as #2 in the boot order and Windows Boot Manager as #1. Maybe I am misunderstanding the boot order? It makes sense to me that the hdd would appear in the list at least before the the ssd if it is indeed the boot drive.

• IronFly
    Options
    Under UEFI it's windows boot manager the real booting device.
    But you have to check the list from BIOS not from F12.
  • Jango
    Options

In the Bios my boot order is:
    1. Windows Boot Manager
    2. HDD: Samsung MZVPV512HDGL
    3. ATAP CDROM: blah blah
    4. USB FDD
    5. Network Boot IPV4
    6. USB HDD
    7. IPV6

Shouldn't it show the Hitachi HDD as #2 if it is the boot drive?

• IronFly
    Options

nope, since you are using UEFI, the bootable device is WIndows Boot Manager, that's an EFI partition on your HDD (hitachi)

by the way you can double check where your EFI partition and OS is installed, looking on windows disk management.

windows logo key + x

Disk management

• Jango
    Options

Okay, now I understand a bit better. There is indeed a 100mb EFI system partition on the hdd.

If I install Windows onto my ssd, then will I be able to select it as the boot drive in Windows Boot Manager? Because I currently cannot select the ssd there. I was gonna purchase Paragon's OS migration software to make it easier for me.

• IronFly
    Options

you need to install windows on your SSD and then delete the EFI partition on the HDD or it will ask/try to boot from the HDD too, sometimes creating conflicts on boots.

• Jango
    Options
    So I've finally had the time to do a clean install of Windows 10 to my SSD. After installing I checked Disk Management and I see that no EFI partition was created. I thought I deleted the EFI partition from the hdd during the first few steps of the Windows installation but when I rebooted and checked disk management it was still there in the hdd.

I then rebooted to see which drive my pc would try to use and it just was stuck frozen on the Predator logo screen. So I went ahead and moved the ssd to 1st in the boot order so I could actually get back into Windows.

Once I was back into Windows I went to delete the EFI partition from the hdd but I am not given the option to do so. Also I booted into Windows Boot Manager to try and change the boot drive to the ssd, but the hdd was still the only option available. Is this because no EFI partition was created on the ssd?

• IronFly
    Options

yes, no EFI partition = no windows boot manager

that's pretty strange if your BIOS is set to UEFI

when you created the windows bootable media, this was done on an UEFI PC?

have you unplugged the HDD before installing windows on SSD?

• Jango
    Options

I did use a flash drive to load Windows, but I had read here that the tool Microsoft provides does not work properly with UEFI machines. So, instead of using selecting "create bootable flash drive" in the media creation tool I downloaded the ISO and used the Rufus utility. Perhaps that's why no EFI partition was created? As of now, my laptop reboots normally from the SSD when I set it as 1st in the boot order.

I was going to go ahead and just wipe the HDD as I have already retrieved everything that I may need from my HDD in regards to normal files and documents, but since it does have an EFI partition I wasn't sure if that would mess up my Windows in any way.

• IronFly
    Options
    You need to set Rufus as on their english home page screenshot or it will not create a proper EFI bootable media.