Acer One 10 S1002 Dock Problems

2»

Answers

• pilou
    pilou Member Posts: 7 New User

The problem became so annoying that I decided to open the keyboard backside, and actually removed the hard disk altogether.

I would like to replace it by a solid state HD, but before ordering it, I would like to know if anybody here has done it ? What size did you fit in ? ( I am leaning towards 256 Gb ) ? Is it "plug and play" ? Any problems ?

Thanks for sharing your experience....

Phil

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Should be pretty much plug and play. Make sure the SSD you pick is the same thickness as the existing HD, too thin and it'll rattle around, too thick and it won't fit.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pilou

I have noted the dimensions, 100x70x7 mm. I saw some on eBay, but I will try to buy locally first , so I will bring the One 10 and the "old" HD with me to the shops.

Phil

• Paranoid
    Paranoid Member Posts: 3 New User

I have finally fixed it(it's been a long time since I have actually fixed something).So this post is going to be very long.My problem might not be yours but the reason is a secondary power supply not reaching the dock's controller board.If you're not patient drop down to the solution part.

Why the hdd behave in this way?

The hdd as I have stated in my previous post is severely under powered and it draws more current during it's initial spin up this causes a sudden drop in the voltage and current which automatically disconnects all the devices connected to the dock and reconnects it. This happens so fast that the hdd is reconnected while the spindle is still spinning causing the hdd to work normally till it goes to sleep.

Why is it under powered?

First of all I blamed Acer for a design flaw but the culprit was this cable running from the 9 pin connector to the controller board in the dock (in my case). The dock have two power supplies, the first one comes from pin 1(-) and 2(+) of the tablet's connector and the second from the pin 8(+) and 9(-) (the pins are counted from left to right).  The first power supply is not completely necessary (it's a secondary power supply) the dock will work without this (try covering its contacts with a duct tape and connecting the tablet). But when something draws too much current, the voltage drops and the entire dock reconnects, so the purpose of the secondary power supply is to ensure that the voltage won't drop when something draws too much current. So if somehow the secondary power supply never reaches the board the hdd will reconnect like crazy.

Solution?

The culprit is definitely the hardware and it can be anything from a broken pin to a disconnected wire. In my case the culprit was a bad cable that ran from the 9 pin connector to the board which I managed to place it in position where it would work and then used thermal glue to secure it. You can use a multimeter to test each connection and see if it works or not. I used the diode check facility in multimeter to see if each of the wires from the 9 pin connector was working (placed one wire of multimeter on one end of the cable and other end on the pin of the 9 pin connector).Try to rectify any disconnected and then use thermal glue to secure every other places that appears to be lose or wobbly.

There you go guys it's been a pain for a while now and never had any time to fix it myself. So I was waiting for someone to drop a fix and follow it, but never got any.-

[inappropriate content removed]

• pilou
    I have tried to change the HDD for a SSD, have opened both the dock and the tablet several times, the problem seemed to have disappeared after fiddling with the cable connector, but it is back , and more annoying than ever... I guess this machine will end up in a drawer never to be used again... If anyone has found a new solution or anything to try, please let us know.

Thanks.

Phil
  • hem981
    hem981 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2018
    Hi, if anyone is still looking through for these, I found something quite interesting. Checking the volt after opening up the dock using a multimeter, I found 3.07 volts being supplied to 2 sets of cables(the negatives of both sets have continuity). Both gives 3.07V while not connected to the dock PCB. Connected the white one with 5 cables to the dock PCB, still both gives 3.07V. But connect the black, one set still shows 3.07V, but the other drops to 0.05V. There are no loose contacts or burned pins. This happens whenever the black one is connected to the dock board, with or without the white one being connected. So I think it could either be faulty resistors on the board, some sort of short circuit, or some diver issues. But I also noted the same thing while in BIOS. Need advice ASAP.!!! Also, if someone has a properly working piece, please check the volts of these pins and report back......
  • AVY
    AVY Member Posts: 1 New User
    I change  the stock HHD with SSD 2.5" and no more problemes  =)
  • MrTech
    MrTech Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey I am also using S1002 32GB version since 3 years, and I have to admit that I have also face same problem with keyboard & mouse docking related. According to me there is an major issue with this particular machine, "windows compatibility". Yes, the windows that we got with this machine that is completely suits with this Lablet(Laptop+Tablet). This machine works absolutely fine until we not go to upgrade the version of the windows10. So my friends just use this machine with the same old windows version that was given by the company and stop the all updates and upgrades of windows. I know very well that all of you people feel bad after hearing it but it is true. We have to use this machine as its old stage and never get  the benefits of security update that is released by windows time to time.