g3620 upgrade to nvidia gtx 970 fails to boot

spotlight2001
spotlight2001 Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi,

I installed a inno3d nvidia gtx 970.

but 6pin power supplies plugged (530W PSU)

I try to boot and pc halts at Acer on the screen

only ctrl-alt-del works

go to bios/start menu doesnt work

the 970 is working in another pc.

back to my old nvidia 660 it works again

I have a g3620

nvidia 660

originally windows 7, now windows 10

NO uefi boot options - neither in bios nor in the windows advanced repair menu

BIOS

Brand    American Megatrends Inc.
Version    P01-A2
Date    07.05.2012

which is latest for my system according to acer support download page

how can i run a gtx 970 without switching mainboard?

will a radeon 480 work?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

spotlight2001,

I'm going to assume that you have B75 chipset mainboard (But I don't know that for 100 percent sure).  There's a forum member with an Acer computer with B75 chipset (M3985 desktop) that went in to BIOS and disabled Quiet Boot to get his UEFI Nvidia card to work.  Proceed at your own risk as I don't have time to help you if something goes wrong.

QB3985.PNG

I also wrote instructions on how to get Windows 10 installed in UEFI mode for a guy that had H67 chipset mainboard.  I have no idea if they will work for you.  I've never even used a computer with H67 chipset or B75 chipset. And am really not all that familiar with older UEFI.  

Proceed at your own risk as honestly I don't have time to help you if something goes wrong.

https://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/Aspire-M3970-GPU-upgrade-to-GTX-750-Ti/m-p/437012#U437012

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • spotlight2001

@chipset:

speccy (software) says: B75/P75

thanks for you quick answer and the good links.

Actually my story is based on testing a used nvidia 970 BEFORE buying it. So I decided not to buy it.

But I wonder if other cards will work.

Do owners of

* predator g3620

* with original mainboard

* which had originally windows 7

on it exist?

who have some radeon r9 on it?

Like R9 290, 380X or 480?

I guess I will open another thread for this, since it doesnt fit to the title

Hint: 

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

actually a newer Bios than mine does exist. but it seems to be for a newer revision than my g3620. i tried the bios but it wouldnt flash (wrong size error)

"2014/04/03, P11.B1, BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades), "

actually mine was the upgrade from win7

• spotlight2001

regarding your suggestions, due to the pre-used-buying test I cannot simply repeat different steps.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Yes, hopefully someone with your same BIOS can give you an answer about using UEFI graphics cards in your other thread.  A few people have got UEFI cards to work on the B75 chipset boards, but we don't know if they were using the newer UEFI that came with computers that were pre-installed with Windows 8.  The follks that said they got it to work didn't reveal all of the necessary information........so that leaves us guessing.

My suggestion is a lot of work and there's no guarantees my suggestion will work, so maybe sticking with a legacy support card is the best solution.

I'm pretty sure you do have a UEFI that is currently in legacy mode, but it may not be the "right" newer UEFI or the correct version of the B75 board to get that Quiet Boot trick to work.  

Edit: If I have your computer sitting in front of me, it would take me about 30 minutes to tell you if it's going to work with a UEFI card, but your computer is not sitting in front of me.  Smiley Wink

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • spotlight2001

FYI: 

sapphire 380x worked

first screen was black on booting

then i toggled the small hardware switch on top of the card

then it booted with my legacy bios