GPU problems with my new V Nitro Laptop

Marppus22
Marppus22 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello! I recently bought my new laptop, the V Nitro and I have already had my fair share of problems with it. 
Just to put some specifications, it's running a i5 6300QH quad core processor, and a Nvidia Gtx960 4gb.

To start off, I have enabled CoolBoost to help with possible heat throttling and I have turned on the maximum performance from the power saving options. With that being said, I am quite confused with the sudden performance drop, when I tested it with the Unigine Heaven, it ran on 60 fps on high settings and on 140 fps on medium assets. Suddenly though the FPS reduces to 10. When that happens I usually reinstal the nvidia drivers, which brings the FPS of maximum 40. It doesn't go back to the 140 like it was. And to clear it up a bit, the laptop has been running below 70 degrees at all times. 

Anyway, could anyone possibly know the reason for the sudden performance drop? I would be more than happy to know if there's anything I could do to fix it ! Thanks in advance !

Answers

• Krain11
    Krain11 Member Posts: 9 New User

make sure that the default GPU in NVIDIA setting is the NVIDA GPU.

• kagawi
    kagawi Member Posts: 4 New User

First, what drivers are you using ? If you installed drivers from a third-party software, I would recommend to rollback your drivers for the one provided by Acer's website for you specific laptop. Especially the Nvidia driver, and do not upgrade it (don't install GEForce Experience, and disable Windows Update from updating your drivers automatically)

Then, configure your GPU using Nvidia settings.

Also, still on Acer's website, upgrade the BIOS to the latest version if available. (you can check your current BIOS version using Windows + R and typing msinfo32)

Finally you can try this trick (that didn't work for me), under Power options set the max CPU use at 80% or 99% (depending on people providing this fix). This trick would apparently disable Turbo Boost and set your CPU max usage at about 2.50GHz.

In my opinion and experience (not only mine though), Coolboost doesn't change much.

After 5 months of searching everything and everywhere on the Internet, it seems that my issue (which was, in order, Playing games : overheating -> CPU throttling -> screen/sound freez -> crash) was about the fans.

A lot of people have this similar issue for every laptop (591, 791, 792) as it seems the fans are configured to not go above 60% of their use. Using a simple script allowed me to manually set the fans to 100% which makes a bit more noise, but allows me to get at least -10°c on everything, and allows me to play games on High/Ultra without crashing ! (Exemple : idle temps went from 40-45°c to 30-35°c, playings games on High/Ultra went from +80-85°c to -70°c)

I had so much troubles for months with my laptop crashing that I would be glad to help you !

• Marppus22
    Marppus22 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hey and thank you for your response! I just updated my BIOS and it brought the performance up a tiny bit, still not there yet though. I did try the thingy from the CPU power saving thing and I'll see if it works. 

In the meantime I'd like know about the script that helped you! Oh and I am using GeForce experience x/ Is there a way of removing it ? Sorry this literally the first time I have tried something "advanced", so I might have more questions than you might expect. Anyhow, thank you for the help!

• kagawi
    kagawi Member Posts: 4 New User

Hey !

So the best way to remove your current Nvidia driver and using the one provided by Acer's website would be to perform a clean install, use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), small software that will guide you to the process.

Download your driver on Acer's website, then launch DDU, it will lead you to a reboot in safe mode. Once in safemode DDU will start automatically. Choose the option to completely remove Nvidia driver, and just install your new driver (from Acer), using custom install and untip "GeForce Experience". Also click on something like "Perform clean install".

I'd suggest to remove GeForce Experience since it will automatically ask you to update your Nvidia Driver once a new one is available, also Game Optimization is useless. Or at least not very efficient.

Now for the script, it becomes a bit harder.

Be careful to any POSSIBLE damage caused to the laptop.

Solutions were found here http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-VN7-791G-V17-nitro-black-edition-throttling/td-p/362304/page/5 if you'd like to read the entire thread.

I'd need to know the model of your laptop (Windows + R -> msinfo32) to guide you more easily.

Two options are available for you, either use NoteBook FanControl or a script that i'm using that will change settings of another software called RW Everything.

NoteBook FanControl is easy and user friendly to use. But I tried it with my 792G and, with the config file provided by the developper on GitHub, only my left fan would speed up. Right fan would remain the same. If your laptop is a 591, you can try it, since a config file for 591 is already inside the software. Try it and see if both of the fans are speeding up.

Second option, which i'm using, is to create a small .bat file on your desktop (for example) and start it everytime you're gonna play a high 3D game. You need to install RW Everything.

Then read this http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/new-acer-aspire-v-nitro-series.759420/page-147#post-9937744

So first, try to reinstall the NVidia driver performing a clean install. See if it changes anything.

Then you'll try to speed up the fans. Let us know if you have any issue during the process !

Edit : And I can confirm that, during 5 months, I always had crash even on Medium graphics games, the laptop would overheat so much for no reason.

Since that, I never even crashed once, even on Ultra. And the laptop is barely warm playing GTA V High quality.