Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Bios Update for Acer Aspire 3000 / Battery Issues

dmmackaydmmackay Posts: 5Member

So I got a couple of Acer Aspire 3000's that weren't working and got one to work..

But, It seems i'm having some issues when the battery is in it - and otherwise fine without it.
Excessively Long Shut Downs which go to Continuous Reboots/ Touchpad Problems, Freezing, etc.

Says battery is charging until it goes to @ 7-8% .  Then Battery not Charging.

When the Power Adaptor was disconnected- said Battery is Charging??? 

Since these laptops have been sitting around for a couple/few of years.. and were donated to me.. I won't discount the possiblity that battery is no good. And there was only 1 battery to use of the 2 laptops.

After it charged to 7-8% - I had unplugged the adaptor- and it ran for @ 20 min.  and said "1hr 30 min remaining" till it went dead.

I also tried tried the - Remove Battery- Unplug Adaptor and Hold Power Button for 2 min Method- then Installed battery and Adaptor- but to no avail...

(On a side note- which is probably not related- my wifi does not seem to be working- even though it appears there is nothing wrong in the Device Manager.- and running a dianostic does not help...I know there's wireless networks but none show up! Broadcom 802.11g)

Anyway- I seen a post on another site- saying a BIOS UPDATE could possibly fix the Problem for the Battery- (Perhaps wifi too)...

Since I've NEVER DONE A BIOS UPDATE; I will KINDLY ask, Please walk me though this... with as little as ACKRONYNS and GEEK TALK as Possible (Respectfully).  I had read about this type of thing - to download the Bios Update... and I think it can be put on a Falsh Drive- but is it a ZIP and does it have to be EXTACTED- which i'm not too great at? Then "Select (something?) and then maybe reboot... So, now I'm willing to give it a try- With some help and input.  THANKING YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!!  a Link for the Download and Correct BIOS UPDATE would be a Great Start.. as well - I guesss that goes without saying.

So here's some Specs from System Info: ( I hope it's enough- but please let me know if you need more)

Acer Aspire 3000 System Info

Best Answer

FAQ & Answers

• IronFlyIronFly Posts: 17,922ACE Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    I'm not an Acer employee.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dmmackaydmmackay Posts: 5Member

Thank You Very Much, IronFly!

I checked out the Phlash- seems pretty simple with those instructions.  And since I'm using a desktop - and have the laptop beside me- EASY PEASY...  Smiley Happy

Quesitons before starting:
    1.When I download the BIOS update to a Flash - and extract it- I see I have 2 folders on my Flash Drive-
    1 with the extracted files- and 1 with the Zip folder-
    Would you recommend that I delete the Zip Folder now, or does it matter?

2..You don't have to do Progressive Bios Updates.. Just the latest one?

3.. Step 6 gives me this Screen- with "Accessories" as the Highlighted folder- whereas; in the instruction looks different?
    Here's what I get when running it:
    IMG_2160.JPG

Instructions in Phlash view as this:
    Bios Update.PNG

I'm guessing I leave it as default "Accessories" Folder and continue- Since the Next Steps (7&8)

look the same (as below)  a Check in the Box for "Start WinPhlash" and I would then / Click Finish - and let it run or install....

Bios Update 2.PNG

1 doesn't matter
    2 just the last if not requested by the flasher
    3 use the default settings
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Step 9 was a bit tricky for me- and I had to think a bit about it- Since the Default  was not Selected as "Flash Drive" and I had to find the Folder -  But,

SUCCESS!!!
    Thanks IronFly... Greatly Appreciate your Help and Timely Replies  Man Very Happy

Now, I'll try the Battery and see if that has made any difference.

You welcome. Smiley Happy

The Bios Update, Unfortunately did not resolve any of the problems I was having:
    Battery still does not charge/ Long shut downs and skips to reboots / freezes - all still continue-- Which I will Contribute them all to PERHAPS; a Bad Battery being installed, Since, they do not occur when the battery is removed. Man Sad

As for the wifi- I didn't realize there was a button on the front to click, to eneable it... till i did a google search. Man Embarassed