"less" need more?

OLDPADDY
OLDPADDY Member Posts: 7 New User

V5-591G-74UP with limpus linux (not GUI version) Cannot get the thing to operate. Switch on it boots, tells me to enter "less /GPN" and "less /COPYRIGHT" then tells me no such "less" command. How do I get this running so I can install Mint 17.3? New to linux and any advice is more than welcome. Thanks in advance. Paddy

PS any commands to get me wifi or goggle connected or to boot from USB(F10 I think) will go a long way in assisting this old, stubborn man. Once again.... thanks. P   

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

You can skip those steps if you'd like. "Less" is an aplication that displays a text file one screen at a time, in this case to see the license and copyright. You should be able to do normal linux shell commands from the prompt, though it sounds like the version that is installed is pretty minimal. Was this a used machine? I thought the V5-591G-74UP model was Windows 10.

When you power your notebook up there should be a brief time when the screen displays something like 'press F2 for setup, F10 for boot options'. You want to get into boot options in order to boot from a USB drive. Most linux distributions come as a bootable image though you might have to create the actuall USB drive on another machine. I imagine there is a method for doing it from the command line, but I expect it'd be tougher than you'd want to approach.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OLDPADDY
    OLDPADDY Member Posts: 7 New User

Thanks for troubling to reply. This model comes in both windows 10 and limpus linux basic (script). The F10 command asks if I want to create a bootable USB not start from one, which I already have. On startup it goes straight into limpus and F2 appears to do nothing. Am a bit pressed for time at the  moment, split shifts, but am learning more and shall continue my endevours. Again thanks P.