To replace hard disk with ssd.

Mich
Mich Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter

Hello,

my laptop is Acer E5-573G, with Windows 10 in dual-boot with Kubuntu 14.04

I'm thinking to replace the hard disk with ssd, because the start-up of Windows is very slow,

I would like to know if this operation is very difficult, I never tampered with laptops, but I assembled my desktop pc.

There is a guide on the internet for that operation?

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

It's not that hard, take your time and prepare yourself well, there's a video in German but easy to follow the procedure, pay attention at 2:27 for the small cable removal from motherboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzMaCv2H16U

• JonM
    JonM Member Posts: 25 New User

Hi Mich, 

An SSD upgrade is one of the best upgrades you can make, it really makes a night and day difference. While I haven't personally taken an E5-573G apart yet, I do know that most laptops are pretty similar when it comes to accessing the hard drive area. Keep in mind though, changing the internal hardware of your unit may or may not void your warranty, If this is a concern I would look into the details before proceeding. 

Now, as for how to do this, I can see that there isn't an access panel on the bottom of this unit, this meaning either one of two things: 1) the entire bottom pan/shell can be removed by taking out all the screws under the unit (easy) or if that doesn't work, you might have to go in through the keyboard/palmrest side to get to the hard drive (a little more difficult)

Once you get to the drive, it's as simple as sliding out the old drive and installing the 2.5" SSD drive. You may have to unscrew and transfer over a mounting bracket.

But, if you wish to just pick up right where you left off, you'll need to use some software to create a clone/image of the hard drive and transfer it to your SSD first. I personally use Acronis True Image for this without issue.

• Mich
    Mich Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter

Hi,

@ brummyfan2,

I apologize for delay my late replay;

the video of your link is very interesting and instructive.

Thanks.

@ JonM

Keep in mind though, changing the internal hardware of your unit may or may not void your warranty, If this is a concern I would look into the details before proceeding. 

you are right, in fact, I think to do the replacement at the end of the guarantee.

You may have to unscrew and transfer over a mounting bracket.

from the video it seems that hard disk is the same size of the SSD,

if not, where can I buy the bracket for SSD?

you'll need to use some software to create a clone/image of the hard drive and transfer it to your SSD first.I personally use Acronis True Image for this without issue.

in the past I used Clonezilla, but I will try to use Acronis True Image.

Thank you.