Difference between USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA and a SATAIII cable

Options
kikof1
kikof1 Member Posts: 8 New User

Bought a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA cable from E-bay.

My friend told me to buy a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATAIII cable but I bought a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA 

Connected the USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA cable to my PC to down files from a Laptop drive(Which I removed from a broken laptop) ,It  will not boot up but it will not register as an external drive???

Help

Did I buy the wrong cable??

thanks

Comments

• JonM
    JonM Member Posts: 25 New User
    Options

Ok, so it sounds to me like you're trying to transfer/recover files from a hard drive that was removed from a broken unit. The 2.5" laptop drive you removed from the broken computer has two ports on it. They both have an L shape to them. One is larger, that one is for power. The smaller one is for data transfer. You need both of them in order to get the drive to function. My guess is that you only bought the smaller one, with a usb connector on the other side.

Although a laptop hard drive is 2.5" and a desktop drive is 3.5", the connectors are the same. To answer your question, a Sata3 cable will have the small sata connector on both sides. The usb to sata cable will have a usb connector on one side and the small sata connector on the other. Now, I have a couple of solutions for you below.

From here you can do one of two things: The first would be to purchase a sata power adapter so you can power the hard drive from an AC outlet. Unfortunately it is very difficult to find these, and if you do, it will likely be expensive. Most of the adapters you will find instead would be to power the drive via an internal connector on a desktop computer. I dont think this solution is going to work for you.

What I recommend that you do, is purchase a USB hard drive enclosure for sata drives. This is basically just a box that has sata connectors on the inside of it that your laptop hard drive will connect to. On the outside of the box is a usb cable that connects to your functioning computer, allowing you to recover the files from that drive. I will link you to an example of one of these units. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182367

Good Luck! Hope this information helps you.

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R7.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xsata+adapter+to.TRS0&_nkw=usb+3.0+to+sata+adapter&_sacat=0 this is basically what I take with me everywhere i go, i can adapt almost anything to work on my Laptop. 3.5" or 2.5" HDDs IDE - not very expensive. and I have 2 (I i use all the time) 2 is my spare just incase now some USB3 do not see all 2.5" HDDs, so recommend you also test the USB 2 slot... I use also this adapter to assist a CLONE one HDD to a new HDD or SSD. you also might be refering to a USB3 cable for a USB3 Sata HDD case. this link shows a USB 3 cable, http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Original-OEM-Samsung-Galaxy-Note3-S5-USB-3-0-Data-Sync-Cable-Charger-White-/221897403830?hash=item33aa1dadb6:g:5acAAOSwx-9Wu4dT