Cannot update bios on V5-552G-X852 as battery is a 0%

llmgtab
llmgtab Member Posts: 2 New User

My laptop's battery stopped working - is sitting at 0% "plugged in, not charging". I know the battery may be dead but trying to do everything I can. One of the suggestions I found out there is to upadate the bios, and there is a newer version on the site that I have downloaded.

Problem is it will not let me do this as it says I have to charge to at least 30% first! Laptop functions fine with the power adapter plugged in. Any way around this so I can get the bios updated?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

No, you will need to buy a battery.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Yes you can get away by updating BIOS with a bad battery, but do it with your own risk. If something happens and you lose power, the notebook will become a brick.

So depending the OS you have you will need to do the following.

Download the BIOS file.

Execute the .exe file from it, you will get a message error, that's fine, but don't click on anything.

If you have windows 10 or 8.1 go to

C:\Users\"Your_username"\AppData\Local\Temp

Here look for the latest modified folder which you have. It should be something starting with 7z... and ending with .tmp eg: in my case was 7zSEA69.tmp

Open folder, copy all the files from here and put them somewhere else, but not in temp.

After this you can click OK on the BIOS update error message.

Now in the files copied there is a configuration file called platform.

Edit it with notepad and go and look for the following lines:

Spoiler
    [AC_Adapter]
    Flag=1
    BatteryCheck=1
    BatteryBound=30
    ;This flag is the switch of checking AC.
    ;Flag              default : 1.
    ;                        0 : Don't check AC.
    ;                        1 : Check AC.
    ;BatteryCheck      default : 0.
    ;                        0 : Don't check battery.
    ;                        1 : Check battery.
    ;BatteryBound      default : 20.
    ;          Integer (1~100) : Low battery boundary (percentage).
    ;                            When BatteryCheck=1 this value will be referenced.
    ;                            And only when the battery life percentage is bigger then
    ;                              inputed value, it can do flash.

Change the BatteryCheck=0, and  BatteryBound=0

The second change is not mandatory but ye, change it anyway.

Save the file and run the InsydeFlash.exe from the same folder. It should work, I suppose.

• llmgtab
    llmgtab Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the detailed reply Sharky. I thought since it is of course plugged in it should not be a problem, but I am now seeing if it is left on its own it powers off even plugged in, so may be safest to not do this. I'll keep this though in case I decide to chance it.