VN7-791G-77WX FPS problem, cooling issue

DaniNate
DaniNate Member Posts: 10 New User

Hi, 

I have a VN7-791G and I have a problem with it. When I start to play a game the cooling fans become really loud, it starts to spin in really high speed and FPS is really low while the fans are so loud. For example during the "normal" condition it runs CS:GO 120-130 FPS, fans working but not annoyingly loud and there is times when the fans are really really loud and in game I have 20-30 FPS. I checked the temperatures.

This is when the fans are really loud an I have 20-30 FPS 

20-30 FPS temp.

This is when it actually works as it should

normal fps

If I change the video setting in games nothing happens even in GTA V when I have this problem I have 10-20 FPS on Ultra setting and on Low setting too. Tried Cooling Boost and did not help. Every driver is the latest. Every game uses the 860M. 

Spoiler
Config:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ / 2,5GHz CPU
8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD + 8 GB SSHD
nVidia GeForce GTX860M

Thanks for the advices in advance. 

Best Answer

• DaniNate
    Answer ✓

Just got back my laptop from the service, they said it was a motherboard failure so they replaced it. 

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

The temperatures are OK, it's not a thermal throtling issue.

Please check the CPU frequency, and be sure that is working at high frequency and is not throttled back for some reason at 0.78 Ghz. I suspect that this is the case.

If this is the case try to install the AMT driver to see if it can help.

AMTIntelIntel AMT Driver11.0.0.115560.7 MB2015/08/27Download
  • DaniNate

Hi,

Thanks for you advice.

Your suspicion was right. I installed the driver you linked, but had this while running GTA V. Do you have any other idea what can help?

cpu.JPG

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I don't know why is throttled back.

Please try to install intel XTU, and then check if the CPU configuration is the default one recommended by the software, or reset the configuration the the default one.

If this does not help, and you can have time to tinker around, you can try to reinstall the OS. I know it's not the best suggestion, since probably you have a lot of software installed, but there are some suggestions that a clean install solved the issue.

If even that one does not solve the issue, then go in BIOS and load setup defaults. And also on the back of the notebook you have a small pinhole for battery, turn off the notebook, disconnect the AC and then push this button in the pinhole with a paperclip for 5 seconds.

If even this does not solve the issue, send it to the service, because I don't know what else to suggest.

• DaniNate
    Hi,

I tried intel XTU everything is set as the default. Did a benchmark just after turning on, it started with thermal throttling off and when cpu reached 67C it turned on and limited the cpu to 0,8 GHz.
    I will try out your suggestions and will give a feedback.
  • DaniNate

I reinstall Windows, nothing changed so I called Acer, tomorrow UPS will take it to the service.

• DaniNate
    Answer ✓

Just got back my laptop from the service, they said it was a motherboard failure so they replaced it.