ACER V3-772G Will not power with power cable alone...

Ianwaustin
Ianwaustin Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I have an Acer V3-772G which I have had from new (Semi New from Amazon, warehouse cosmetic damage), Have never experienced any issues with powering on/off/charging until recently.

Here is where I am up to;

• Laptop will power up from the battery.
  • Laptop will not power up with cable alone (Battery removed).
  • When powered up with the batter inserted – the laptop will (according to the battery monitor on the laptop) charge the battery, however, the battery continues to discharge and the laptop will eventually run out of charge.
  • When the power cable is inserted whilst the laptop is powered up, the laptop recognises that the cable is connected and will enable the "Plugged in" power settings etc. If I then remove the battery, the laptop powers off.
  • Laptop seemingly charges the battery when it is powered off, however, even after a full night plugged in the battery doesn’t have the charge to start the laptop.
  • Both the external cable and the battery are in perfect working order (Having tested both with a separate Acer laptop).
  • I have opened and cleaned all connectors / fan / CPU / GPU inside the laptop and nothing looks out of place.
  • All USB / Optical Drive / HDMI ports ETC all work without issues.

I’m assuming a cable issue and not a main board issue because there are no other faults besides the DC cable (Battery will still power the laptop etc.). I have ordered a replacement 120w internal DC cable from the spare parts website to test my theory.

In the meantime while I wait for the delivery, can anyone suggest what might be the issue? Or if anyone has any further trouble shooting steps I can take, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Ian

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I think that your adapter does not provide enough power to supply the notebook. But I cannot be sure since you also told us that the adapter works with other notebook. So in this case it can be both.

Your power adapter is rated at certain amperage (thus certain wattage as well), and if it cannot provide that value for the notebook it will not work. I assume this on the following facts:

1. Battery is charging slowly, (so it provides low current) and you are unable to start the notebook if the battery is drained (the provided power is not enough to power the entire system)

2 .While you using it plugged in, it also uses battery power (because the charger does not provide enough juice to run the system).

I had a friend who had a third party charger for an older toshiba notebook and the issue was that the charger had a lower power rating than the original power brick, and when the notebook needed full power it automatically used the battery, and then the battery drained, the notebook would shut down instantly.

But if the charger is working with other notebook it can be a problem with the motherboard.

• Ianwaustin
    Ianwaustin Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Im hoping that its not a board issue, I haven't seen a replacement around anywhere and I wouldn't like to think that i'll need to ditch the laptop because of a (seemingly) simple issue.

I have tested the cable today with a multimeter and its performing as expected (Voltage that is, I dont have a set up to test AMPS). Just awaiting my parts delivery now.