Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Acer Aspire: Use Win8 drivers for Win10?

I have an Acer Aspire 5755-9674, which came with Win7.  I got the "Upgrade to Win 10" pop-ups like everyone else, and proceeded.  After the upgrade process, I did a clean install of Win 10.  All is mostly good.

I get a random FREEZE once per week or so - there is no pattern. Researching the issue, the first advice is to ensure drivers are all current.  This leads to my question:

When running Windows 10 on a laptop which only has driver support for Win 8.1, is it better to use the Acer Win 8.1 drivers, or the Microsoft Win 10 drivers that were installed during the upgrade?

For example, my current SATA AHCI Controller driver is a Microsoft driver from 2006!  The Acer driver for Win 8.1 is 2012.  I am concerned that installing a Win 8.1 driver on Win 10 will disable my laptop!

Advice or other experiences appreciated.

Mike

FAQ & Answers

• Acer-MaryAcer-Mary Posts: 871Acer Crew

Acer Crew

This particular model was not eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade but if you were able to upgrade without much issue, it is probably best to use the included Windows 10 driver even if it is older than the 8.1. Though there are similarities between Windows 8.1 and 10, it could cause issues by using a driver for an older operating system even if the version is newer.