VN7-592G CPU clock suddenly unlocked, making gaming unbearable

jakenbake350
jakenbake350 Member Posts: 10 New User

Since I've owned this computer I haven't had any problems like this. In every game I try now my FPS, which usually stays around 90 and never dips below 60, dips to 20-30 for a noticeable amount of time. This is really annoying in games such as Overwatch and CS:GO and I can't even really play. Even on all low settings this computer shouldn't have these problems.

After looking into it, my CPU clock is being adjusted while I'm playing due to temperature (I'm guessing). I've used coretemp to monitor temperatures and clock speeds throughout my ownership of this computer. In old coretemp logs, when I was gaming the CPU would stay at 2511.99MHz constantly. Now, for some reason is is swinging to 3.5 (turboboost) and down to 2.3 when it gets hot which I believe is causing the FPS drops. Is there a way to lock the speed? Is this what my problem is? My power settings have 100% processor state for the minimum and max and I can't disable turboboost from the BIOS.

I'm not sure if this was a recent update with windows, intel, or acer but I haven't changed any settings and all drivers / firmware are up to date. Thank you.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I don't think that the CPU  was ever locked. I think it was always with turboboost on.

You can try to use intel XTU and at basic tunning you can try to lower the CPU multiplier to eg 26x and see if it will help.

Are you sure that the CPU is causing the issue and not the graphics card? Do you run the game with the dedicated GPU or the integrated one? Isn't the GPU throttling, and causing the frame drop?

• jakenbake350
    jakenbake350 Member Posts: 10 New User

Not sure what happened but when I got this computer it ran at 2.6ghz constantly and turbo never came on but everything ran great so I didn't care.

Most of my games have dedicated launchers and they are sometimes running the game with the integrated graphics card so I can't explicitly choose to run with the 960 but it shows as running with the correct card most of the time. I try to change settings in the Nvidia console and it says access denied. It could be the GPU throttling but I haven't looked into it.

I found out how to disable turbo boost and it helped a bit, but I'm still getting downclocking in overwatch on all low settings. This computer ran things great but has recently made gaming on it a hassle and I can't be sure what the problem is.