V3 772g 9653 VGA Windows 10

Options
Shenya
Shenya Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Please skip straight to bold for the issue, everything prior is what led up to the issue.

I put an mSATA SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10 from USB media. To my delight I didn't have to provide a key (did it 2 days before the free Win 10 upgrade offer finished) though I had used Belarc Advisor to show it to me before I attempted the install.

Installation was quick and painless and it gave me a successful dual booting system between the existing Windows 8 and the new Windows 10 (which on the mSATA SSD loads in a blink NICE!). I had downloaded a bunch of Windows 10 drivers from the ACER support site prior to installing Windows 10, yet it seemed I needn't have bothered. I was most worried about the Intel and nVidia GTX760 setup, but whilst I was downloading FireFox, a notification popped up and told me that I needed to restart in order to gain full functionality from the graphics. I had a couple of other "must haves" I wanted before I did said restart when another message came up telling me much the same thing, indicating that it had sorted the nVidia as well as the ifgx. Restart I did.

Everything appeared fine, except I get "Intel Display Driver for Windows 8 stopped working and recovered successfully" periodically. It happens so fast it wasn't a huge deal, like if I was moving a window, there'd be a slight lag, then the message and then everything would work just fine.

Also, I wasn't happy with some game performance under the 760m. Two racing games set exactly as I had them on my windows 8 installation were a little choppy under windows 10 and I wondered if the ifgx was messing it up.

I set up a restore point before installing the Intel GFX driver I downloaded from Acer then ran the setup. All went fine, no improvement in the two games sadly. Didn't see an igfx driver error either but didn't have it going long enough to know for sure.

The problem is, that after installing the newer driver, the GTX760m does not shut off, at all. The laptop is running a good deal warmer as a result, and I'm not happy with that. Since I had performed a system restore prior to updating the igfx I figured restoring would put it right back as it was. No such luck. The GTX760M still refuses to switch off when not in use. When I roll over the icon (which is now always in color instead of only being color when in use) it shows that nothing is using it. Why then is it not switching off when unused? How do I fix this?

If possible I'd llike to avoid reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch and letting it figure itself out again. Any help much appreciated.

Best Answer

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

I was expecting this Smiley Happy), we( people from the forum) know the struggle with updating the driverSmiley Happy).

So do exactly the same thing but a little bit different

So Device manager ---> Intel hd graphics ---> Update device software ---> browse computer ---> here select let me pick... ---> here click have disk ---> navigate where you unzipped the driver ---> Select the graphics folder from here ---> select the igdlh64.inf  and click OK ---> Select from the list the intel HD graphics 4600 and click next. After installing click close and restart.

Please update as well the Nvidia graphics driver. And do a clean install if you will be asked.

The point is that Nvidia optimus is responsible to select which software uses the dGPU and which uses the iGPU, so it can be something wrong also there.

I hope the instructions are not confusing, if you have issues, just ask.

Answers

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

I think in the device manager under display adapters you have the intel one. Go to properties and at driver section, check if you have the roll back driver option available. If yes you can roll back to the earlier driver, which is buggy.

I think the issue is that the intel driver from Microsoft (recommended by manufacturer aka acer) and the driver from acer webpage are buggy. It's not the first case, there are other models with exaclty the same situation for the intel drivers.

What I suggest is to go to intel download page and download the latest version of the intel hd graphics driver (I think you have a 4th generation of I7 processor no?). Download the zip version and unzip it, this is critical since the exe one will not work due to "a custom manufacturer driver is installed on the system"  aka from acer (of course, outdated)

Then go in device manager---> select the intel hd graphics ---> Update driver software ---> browse my computer ---> select the location where you unzipped ---> install it.

I hope it will help somehow. If you still have problems with the Nvidia I recommend to download the latest Nvidia driver from the Nvidia webpage.

I left here the link for intel 4th generation of intel hd graphics (if you have for example an I7-4XXXX), and the nvidia download page:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26079/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• Shenya
    Options

Thank you for the reply. After I updated the driver, before using system restore I did go into the device manager, but the rollback button was not usable, hence I did the system restore. I really thought using the restore would put it back as before (it shows the older driver version, just doesn't shut the 760m off anymore).

You are correct, i7-4702mq CPU. I downloaded the zip and tried to update from the device manager but after the merest instant of a check when pointing at the unzipped directory it tells me that windows has determined the driver software is up to date. I downloaded the exe also just in case, but it did indeed come up with an error claiming driver not validated please obtain from computer manufacturer.

I never touched the nVidia driver, so it would seem the Intel driver somehow decides when to switch off the nvidia. If it didn't give me display driver stopped responding errors, didn't have significantly worse performance than I was getting in Windows 8 and actually allowed me to  play full screen in Black Desert at a resolution other than 1920x1080, I would never have touched anything (don't fix it if it ain't broke mentality, still using the original Intel driver that shipped with the machine in August 2013 and an nvidia driver from 2014 on my Win 8 disk and everything runs just great).

Where do I go from here? I guess I will try plopping the Acer driver back on, then updating the nVidia driver. If this doesn't work, can I use the Refresh PC option without messing up the Windows 8 install. Will this put it back to the drivers it had right after install or am I just better off plopping the USB stick in and doing a fresh install of Windows 10 again? (I really just wanted to avoid all the hours of installing what I wanted and getting everything how I like it, but I've probably spent nearly as much time just trying to fix this) Smiley Sad

• sharky25k
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

I was expecting this Smiley Happy), we( people from the forum) know the struggle with updating the driverSmiley Happy).

So do exactly the same thing but a little bit different

So Device manager ---> Intel hd graphics ---> Update device software ---> browse computer ---> here select let me pick... ---> here click have disk ---> navigate where you unzipped the driver ---> Select the graphics folder from here ---> select the igdlh64.inf  and click OK ---> Select from the list the intel HD graphics 4600 and click next. After installing click close and restart.

Please update as well the Nvidia graphics driver. And do a clean install if you will be asked.

The point is that Nvidia optimus is responsible to select which software uses the dGPU and which uses the iGPU, so it can be something wrong also there.

I hope the instructions are not confusing, if you have issues, just ask.

• Shenya
    Options

Sorry I didn't get this in in time, my internet pooped. Thankyou for your reply. Right after I posted I did the following post which did not get posted:

Well what do you know? It seems the answer is to indeed do both drivers. I reinstalled the driver from the Acer site, GTX760m still always on, installed the latest driver from nVidia and chose custom then clean install (didn't even require a reboot like the Intel one did) and it was showing hot, since GeForce Experience was using it. Just closed Geforce experience and the little icon that shows usage went grey, and hovering over it, it now also not only shows if a program is running or not, but the tool tip confirms "inactive".

So to clarify: Install Intel Windows 10 driver from Acer site, restart as directed, install latest nVidia driver from nVidia site (I chose custom and clean install) and the 760m now shuts off as expected. Happy!

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

Glad to hear that you have solved the problem.

Just a note. Becuase you told that the intel graphics driver is saying sometimes that it has crashed and recovered, I would highly recommend to update this driver in the method mentioned above, if you get this error. The error suggests that the driver is buggy, that's why you should update it. I had the same issue with the driver from acer, and after updating to the intel one, I never got any problem anymore with the driver has crashed and has recovered.

• Shenya
    Options

Thankyou Sharky, I have had now one recovered from not responding message out of the Acer driver after an uptime of 24 hours. Far less than the driver Microsoft put on there.

Since I'm already running the latest nVidia driver, and since it seems that this has to be reinstalled after the igfx driver is updated to properly turn the 760m on and off, I assume that I should first uninstall the nVidia driver before update the Intel one yes? I figure this since I imagine that trying to install the same nVidia driver as the one already there, it'll simplly tell me that I already have this driver. I could be wrong though! I guess I can install the Intel driver and then try reinstalling the same nVidia one, and if I get the message, uninstall it then reinstall it again.

What a messy system optimus is. Soon as I get that Intel driver sorted it's the last time I'll ever update it. I don't suppose by any chance, that it fixes the HDMI issue? When I tried connecting to an HDTV the motion in games was super choppy even though the framerate showed good fps. I discovered that turning off VSync helped some nd read somewhere that this was the fault of the Intel gfx. I sure do miss my old Acer laptop that had just the dedicated nVidia with no Intel nonsense getting in the way!

• sharky25k
    Options

Hi,

I cannot tell you anything about the HDMI issue, if it will be fixed or not:-).

But regarding the update procedure, don't worry about the Nvidia one, just install/update the intel one. It should not affect at all the Nvidia one. However if you will have afrerwards any issue with the Nvidia one you can reinstall it. Personally I never had issue with the Nvidia one after update of intel graphics drivers, and I did not uninstall before the Nvidia one.