aspire v11 touch , my laptop only appears to have c drive , d drive is missing.

viki
viki Member Posts: 4 New User

Aspire v11 touch V3-112P-C561 . I can't find a d drive on this laptop. I've checked device manager & checked this PC, it is not my first PC & I've tried everything I can think of,& TBH I'm stumped. I've been having probs with low memory ever since I bought it (a few months) ,until recently I've mostly used my desktop , this laptop always shuts down due to "low memory" & I need it at the mo.  I asked for an exchange but seller said no point "they are all like that", the ones he sold . Am I missing something to try or am I unlucky & got a bad one from a bad batch ?

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I am sorry to tell you but your description is a little bit confusing.

So your notebook should have a just a single 500GB HDD, why do you expect to have a D partition? What's the size of the C: partition? If it's around 450 GB that means that you should not have another disk partition.

And regarding the memory, well I hope you are not missusing the term memory to disk space. Since you have 4 GB of RAM it can be that in certain conditions you can run low on memory.

• viki

The disk space is "2.02 gb available of 19.2gb". "installed RAM 2.00gb (1.88gb usable)"  Acer(c).

I'm not very techy but I thought the D disc was for memory.

• sharky25k

Hi,

I also misslocked the model of your notebook. However, i cannot find the exact specifications for that model.

But as I see you have 2 GB of RAM, and of course in certain situations you can run into low memory issue with this amount of RAM. I would recommend to upgrade your amount of RAM. On the internet it is written that the V3-112P supports maximum 8GB of RAM.

And regarding to the disk space, well I don't know what size should be the HDD.

Do you use windows? And what version of windows?

Please go to start (if you have windows ) and write diskmgmt.msc

In the new windows you should see your disk drives. Please post a screenshot of this window. Or tell us all the partitions which you have and their capacity and free space.

• viki

Hi, windows 8.1 , s shot 22.jpg

• sharky25k

Hi,

So ,as you can see you have a 30 gb SSD (I think is SSD not HDD).

So the 100 MB partition is the boot one, you cannot get anything from there, the C has 20 GB (aprox) and you have another partition the so called "Recovery partition" which can be used to recover the system if anything goes wrong. So you cannot use that space either.

The problem with low memory is like this. You have 2 GB of RAM, when this gets quite full (eg 70-80%) the system tries to make virtual memory by using the space from the disk as memory. Since you have very little free space on the C:\ the system does not have any place where to put the virtual memory file, thus you get the problem.

As the guy from the shop told you, this is how that particular model of the notebook it is. It's nothing wrong with it, is just low performance. If you have somebody who knows how to check the notebook, check if you have soldered RAM on the motherboard or just RAM sticks. If you have sticks you can try to invest in 4GB of RAM to have more memory.

• viki

Hi, thank you for all your help. it was advertised as 2gb + 32 gb, I have had a quick look at the motherboard , I'll get someone else to expand the memory for me, diff from my desktop. My desktop has 2 Hard Drives & max memory (I upgraded it myself just plug ins really easy ) but the inside of this laptop is weird to me.