Replace HDD with SSD on Aspire S3-391

rlelina
rlelina Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an old Aspire S3-391 laptop (upgraded from Win 8 to 10) that is used in the home for general stuff. The hard drive has some errors in it already according to HD Sentinel (hdsentinel.com) and I've noticed it has gotten "slower" even after clearing out all pictures and videos into an external drive. I've decided I want to install a new SSD, a 250GB one should be fine for what I'm using it for. So the main issue is how do I migrate my Windows 10 to a new SSD -- as far as I know I cannot have both the HDD and a new SSD installed on the laptop at the same time -- there's not even a CD/DVD drive I can remove. Is this possible? I was thinking:

1. buy internal SSD PLUS an enclosure so I can plug it in to the USB port as an external drive

2. clone current drive to external SSD

3. remove current drive from laptop; remove SSD from enclosure and install as internal drive to laptop

Will this work? Is there a better way? Thank you!

Rico 

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

If the replacement drive is the same size or larger than your current drive then I would change out the drives and then use my latest system image and recovery flash to load the new drive.