XZ350CU appalling smearing and motion blur of blacks

IainOb1
IainOb1 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited October 2023 in 2018 Archives

I have just recieved my xz350cu and it has very bad ghosting and smearing of anything black in every game. It really is bad and surely is not how a monitor should behave. If this is normal for the monitor then it really needs to be recalled as it is that bad. Every black part the game has a long black smear as you turn. In space games basically every star dissa[ears in games as you turn.

The amount of info regarding settings and spec that comes with the monitor is non existing.

No info on menu settings.

No info on freesync working range.

This product is an expensive monitor and should have full documentation regarding settings and spec.

If the smearing of blacks is a character of the monitor then it will be going back for a refund as there is no reality where this is acceptable for gaming.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi IainOb1,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not thrilled with the monitor. I certainly understand that it is big investment and you want an amazing experience. To describe it as appalling is certainly a concern and one that I hate to see when describing this monitor. One issue is I'm not sure what level of ghosting or smearing you're experiencing. Maybe you could post a video for us?

The other side is that the XZ350CU has a VA panel in it and talk has always centered around the weakness of VA panel technology being with dark tone color shifts which can be described as ghosting. Here is an article that talks about all 3 of the major panel technologies. http://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/

Thanks,
    Cory

• IainOb1

Hi Cory, I have just received my monitor back from being repaired. They have replaced the panel and I got it back today.

The monitor still has exactly the same black smearing in fact to my eyes it is now worse.

We are talking long black smears from anything dark over another colour.

Unfortunatly using the word appalling is a perfect description and a fair one. I am shocked that this level of smearing is regarded as normal function.

The repair notes and the agent I spoke to told me it has been tested and is now working correctly. How anyone would regard this level of black smearing normal is beyond me.

I understand that each screen type has different charcteristics but I can't see why they would release for sale monitors with this level of smearing.

If I slowly move the steam window over my desktop with a blue background the black from the window smear to at least 3-6 cm on the screen. White lines will simply dissapear under the black.

The mouse moving across the screen leaves a long white trail with black lines too.

Blacks smear far across greys/ cyans.

More colours smear on this panel thatn the one I have just sent in. It was mainly the blacks before but now colours do it more now. The over drive function used to reduce the colour blur but now it does nothing to reduce it.

I will record a video to show how bad this problem is. I can't see anyone being able to realistcally game at all on this monitor. Any space game will be a nightmare of motion blur. with black smears all over the screen.

It is a real shame as this monitor has great colours and good blacks and whites. But to use this monitor with anything moving is going to be a problem.

This monitor line needs to be looked at properly and if Acer continue to sell this technology then the information regarding ghosting and smearing should be known to the public.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Very sorry you are still having problems with this monitor. I want to better understand exactly what this issue is, because I am not seeing it on our monitor here. I see you said you will post video. Hopefully, this will help us better understand the issue. We really want to understand this so we can get it resolved for you.
  • IainOb1
    Here is a clip of what happens. I have also sent this clip back into support who want me to send it for another repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfNDLFQ3IO0&feature=youtu.be

The repaired monitor haa the exact same problems as the one i originally sent in.

Id rather get a fully tested total new monitor than a repair as it will be the same again. If the monitors are all like this then id request a different model ultrawide with freesync as a replacement that does not suffer withvthese problems. I cant game with that much black and colour smear.

• Blayn-Acer
    Sorry, I understand how frustrating this must be. Unfortunately, I agree with their advice on sending it for another repair. In regards to replacement or a different model, that would be at the discretion of your local service center.
  • IainOb1
    Would they test the panel before it goes in the monitor? As could it be the built in software that is causing the trouble. The thing i dont understand is why it was stated as tested and working correctly when the last one was regarded as faulty?
  • Blayn-Acer
    I can't say for certain exactly how the repair process works in the UK, and how they would test the product. I suggest working with the support team in that region, to make sure the techs that are working on your system are aware of the videos, and can accurately see the problem you are reporting.
  • RidingTheFlow
    RidingTheFlow Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon

I feel your pain... But unfortunately I have to say that you shouldn't have your hopes up - I have seen your video and this is not a fault, but just how this panel (AU Optronics M350DVR01.0 35" AMVA) is.

Several tech sites have tested it, and while "average" response time is indeed around 10ms, some specific transitions are a lot worse. And in particular, transition "from black" is slowest - and its whopping 50ms (!). Thats about 20FPS to give you rough idea. For comparison, to give true 144Hz refresh, response speed should be around 7 ms.

This slow response from black is what creates this "black smearing" effect and this was already quite well know about monitors which use the same AUO VA panel.

Myself I have just had to return Acer Z35 monitor to Amazon due to same reason - smearing made high refresh in games with dark content (e.g. space sims) essentially unable to be used for any kind of fast motion - and if you can't practically use high refresh, this monitor becomes largely pointless (because otherwise its viewing angles and resolution is less than top).

Personally I think advertising the monitor as "144Hz" with panel having some transitions of 50ms is kind of deceptive practice to say the least. To be honest, it should be - "144Hz unless you see anything dark moving".

• IainOb1
    Yeah after doing a little reading it seems the panels are just a waste of time. I measured the response of the blacks and its way up around 80.

The motion blur is that bad on it it gives me eye strain within a few minutes. I never get motion sicknes and dont suffer when the fov are too low like some people but i have to look away from the screen when there is movement. I end up moving further back from it as its so bad.
    Movies are horrid with bad mition blur.

The monitor cant be used for gaming,movies the only thing it can do is show still pictures.

Im going return it instead if getting it repaired as it is not how it is advertised and not worth any where near the money charged. No one would want or be able to use a monitor with this level of smearing. Its that bad things in game such as stars or grating actually disappear. Thanks for the reply
  • Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Don't use a VA panel for gaming, end of story.  It's not suitable for it.  I don't know why Acer advertise this monitor for gaming at 144hz since it is clearly not a suitable panel technology for that purpose.  But apart from the awful transitions they aren't too bad and VA can be best used for photo editing and general everyday use.

I would suggest a typical TN panel if you want very fast transitions for say first person shooters at high refresh rates, or an IPS panel if you are more interested in vivid colours and crisp looking images, but with slightly worse transitions than a TN and a few ms slower response times.

In game terms:

TN = best with first person shooters

IPS = best with RPG, RTS

• IainOb1
    I have arranged for it to be returned for a refund. I will look for some thing else.
    I am after freesync and did want ultrawide with good refresh rates. Gaming i play the full range of games but 1st person games more.
  • Razzic
    Razzic Member Posts: 4 New User

Completely entitled to a refund by law. Customers all over have reported this issue and others have not. Others have returned it because they specifically want that monitor and have experienced it again, returned it a 2nd time and got a good one the 3rd time. So it 100% a quality control issue and it's not just how they all are at all (as some people have hinted or said).

You are 100% entitiled to a refund under law. Places that have similar laws (for those who need to know) are Australia (apart from this UK customer in this thread, the OP) and America also. Those are the only places I've lived so only laws I know sorry. 

• Razzic

Vandragorax wrote:

Don't use a VA panel for gaming, end of story.  It's not suitable for it.  I don't know why Acer advertise this monitor for gaming at 144hz since it is clearly not a suitable panel technology for that purpose.  But apart from the awful transitions they aren't too bad and VA can be best used for photo editing and general everyday use.

I would suggest a typical TN panel if you want very fast transitions for say first person shooters at high refresh rates, or an IPS panel if you are more interested in vivid colours and crisp looking images, but with slightly worse transitions than a TN and a few ms slower response times.

In game terms:

TN = best with first person shooters

IPS = best with RPG, RTS

Samsung VA monitors don't seem to have the issue, as don't some customers using this monitor (but seems to be a lot of unlucky ones) so I'd have to disagree with you there. It is 100% a quality control issue as others have said on other sites (such as Amazon).

• chrix
    chrix Member Posts: 2 New User

You are wrong: Samsung VA panels have absolutely the same serious issue with black transitions.

Returned a C24F390 to Amazon today for that reason.

As Vandragorax wrote: DON'T USE VA PANELS FOR GAMING. That's the only thing to say about VA Panels.

They have nice blacks and contrast and may be good for watching movies or everyday use.. but not for gaming.

And it's not a problem with response time or input lag : it's the extreme slowness with black transition the issue that makes these VA panels absolutely unsuitable for gaming.

• Razzic

It seriously is not just a normal VA panel issue. As I mentioned numerous reviewers have returned their monitor to get the same one back and it not producing the same issue they had with their original monitor. How else can you explain that? 

Also I think I didn't explain myself properly with the new Samsung monitors, being AHVA or PLS, not VA sorry, which do not have any issues from all reviews (professional and consumer) unless faulty.

• chrix
    chrix Member Posts: 2 New User

Yes, it's absolutely a normal VA panel issue..  and all VA panel are concerned.

I think you are a bit confused about panel types, since AHVA and PLS are all IPS variants (In-Plane Switching technology) ..  a completely different technology... they have absolutely nothing to do with the VA (Vertical Alignment) technology we were speaking of, the one that is afflicted by this serious issue with the extreme slowness of blacks transitions that make them all absolutely not suitable for gaming.

• Razzic

Not confused at all, that's why I corrected myself as I'm completely aware they are types of IPS (again why I corrected myself)

The simple fact of the matter is for example the new Z35P is VA and has no issues what so ever that the Z35 does. And of those that had issues that we are discussing with the Z35, people have RMA'd and got rid of the issue. So it 's not simply a case of all VA panels at all.

A lot yes, all no.

• Myhrddin
    Myhrddin Member Posts: 4 New User
    I've found that your best experience is if you use a good Display Port cable and set the refresh up to 200.  Then those things you're talking about go away and it becomes quite usable etc.  It may not be on par with a $1,000 1ms monitor but, then again you knew that going in.. right.?  Give the high refresh rate on a DisplayPort cable and see if you're not happy then. I think you will be.