Downloading support materials to Ireland

Options
DublinDi
DublinDi Member Posts: 2 New User

I  purchased an Acer tablet from  PC World in Ireland two weeks ago. The tablet was shipped to my home in Ireland from the UK.

When I tried to download the user guide for my tablet from Acer’s global/worldwide website, downloads were blocked.   I emailed, online chatted, and even phoned global.acer.com/worldwide support and Acer.co.uk’s agents, but none of their proposed solutions work: using different internet browsers, downloading on a different computer, going outside of my home to download at another site (in case the probem is due to my internet server). I asked if they could email me the user guide pdf as an attachment, but was told it is too large to send this way.  In each conversation I mentioned that I reside in Ireland and asked if this might be causing the problem, but was dismissed.  In the end I was told to submit a complaint to Acer (which, of course, doesn’t resolve the problem) or to contact AnswersBy, a group that supports out of warranty Acer products for a fee. I tried chatting with AnswersBy but after holding twice for 5 min, my call was dropped. Then I tried phoning AnswersBy's  Irish phone number listed  on its website- after holding for 15 minutes my call was transferred to their UK support line which which refused to assist because my call was  from Ireland!  By now I had expended more than 20 hours unsuccessfully trying to resolve a simple problem.

In the end, I contacted Acer.com (Acer’s U.S. site) and chatted with their support staff who immediately recognized the problem as  downloads to Ireland being blocked from all of Acer’s support sites. 

Fortunately for me, Acer.com’s support team took pity on a fellow American and zipped the tablet’s user guide and sent it to me via e-mail. (So it can be done!)  But I am concerned that in future my new Acer products (yes, I also own a brand new Acer laptop, too) won’t be supported.  In particular, if  I download Windows 10 before the free download offer expires at the end of July and it does not perform well, I will want to rebuild my laptop; if I need to download drivers I won’t be able to do so.  Yet support should be automatically available.

I shouldn’t have spend hours begging for assistance.

I’m writing to focus public attention on this problem and also to ask that Acer lift the block preventing Irish users from accessing support. This block makes no sense and is unjust. If Acer allows Irish distributors to market and sell its products in Ireland, Acer should enable Irish users to download support materials.