Aspire V5-552g clean installed Windows 7, overheats

Options
featherstone
featherstone Member Posts: 2 New User

My Aspire V5-552g died about a year ago (hdd completely failed).  It shipped with Windows 8, but I didn't have the windows key so after installing a new Hdd I installed Linux instead.

Anyway, with the Windows 10 upgrade expiring soon I thought I should take advantage while I can.  I managed to get a Windows 7 pro key from work, and I installed Windows 7 over the weekend (dual boot with Linux).  Windows initially showed "no networking devices" but I got the wifi drivers from somewhere and so now I can connect.  But it's obvious there are driver issues with Windows 7.

The problem I have now is that the laptop  overheats and crashes within around an hour (from total cold start).  It's definitely a Windows problem not a hardware problem, as I'm still running pretty intense applications on Linux without any issues.

I'm assuming this is a driver problem, and so my intial plan was to fully update Windows and hope that somewhere in there were some driver updates.  However, the laptop dies before it will update itself.  Same issue whether I try to update all the way to 10 or just update 7.

The drivers listed on the Acer page for the V5-552g are all for Windows 8, which I'm not sure will work with Windows 7.

Any suggestions?  (and sorry if this question is a repeat, I did look in the forums but couldn't find the same question, if it's already been answered please point me there though?).

Best Answer

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Install windows 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

You don't need a windows 8.1 key.  The key will be automatically retreived from the UEFI/BIOS during installation.

After you install windows 8.1, check to see if there is a BIOS update,

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Then update to Windows 10.

Note:  If you changed your UEFI to legacy mode, and want to get back to default UEFI, then search the forum as there's literally hundreds of posts on how to install Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 with RUFUS. (or just create your installation media on a UEFI computer).

You might be able to directly install windows 10 if you do some google searching.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

I know that there were some complains about overheating on 551g but not on 552g.

Are your fans running when you use windows 7? I would assume that is an issue related to the fan control. On 551g people were saying that the fans were working when on battery but not when on plugged in mode.

Also be sure that you have active cooling policy set in windows. Go to power options--> change plan settings (for your current power plan) ---> here click on change advanced power settings. In the new window look for processor power management, and inside you should have system cooling policy. Set both on battery and plugged in on active.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS (2.07). Could you also check if truly is an overheating issue. You can use HWmonitor to monitor the temperatures. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html Unfortunately for sure it will not be able to monitor your fan speeds.

By the way, if your notebook came installed with windows 8, the key is embeded in the BIOS, so you should be able to install windows 8 without any problem and after install it should activate itself. Unless you changed the motherboard.

In linux could you run a stress test. I am not saying that you are not running intensive tasks on linux, but you should somehow force on linux a stress test which will use all your cpu cores and see if you have in any way overheating problems. The point is that some applications don't take advantage of all cores in linux. You can use sysbench for this in a small bash script.

• featherstone
    featherstone Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Success!  I installed Windows 8.1 and it runs like a dream.  I'd never even HEARD of windows keys being stored in the BIOS, so that was totally new to me.  And to think I've being running Linux and doing without most of my games for a whole year now!

Thanks very much JordanB and Sharky, much appreciated.

• danslb
    danslb Member Posts: 35 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

I know this thread is a bit old but I feel the pain.

Aspire V5-552G, on win10 fully updated including BIOS.

It´s always hot, even on power saving mode. The fans are always running. They slow down to what should be normal use when on power saving mode. But if I switch to balanced, fan speed just shoots up as if I were playing a pretty demanding game. It´s so noisy I am asahmed to study next to someone else at the library.

It didnt always do this. It´s seems to have been getting worse over the last 6 months or so.

I don't understand why the laptop should be so hot in power saving mode.

Word runs so slow that when I hit backspace, it takes and iternity to actually update on screen. Sometime 10 seconds to delete a couple of words.

I am thinking maybe a clean install of Win10 will do the trick. But I think also word may have something to do with it.

I am reluctant to do anything about it right now because I'm in the middle of writing a paper.

With all programs closed except Word, it just fires up like crazy.

Any suggestions?