E5-573G Certain function keys stopped working, Windows 10

Subversion
Subversion Member Posts: 2 New User

As the title states, since the last three days certain function keys have stopped working properly.

Fn+ : F3/F5/F6/F7 have stopped working whilst FN+: F4/F8/F12/Up/Down/Left/Right/Delete/Home/PgUp/PgDn/End are still working normally.

It's a rather annoying situation since I am unable to enable/disable the touchpad this way. I have tried reinstalling chipset, IO, Touchpad drivers as well as Acer ePower and Quick Access to fix the problem. I have updated the bios to the latest version of 1.37 and tried a system restore to a point where I didn't have this issue.

Yesterday and today I have been able to get it to work for an hour or so, the first time I tried FN+Shift+Numlock and after that it worked again. Alas this option has not worked for me after that. Today I got it back to work after restarting all the applications of Quick Access. Unfortunatly after playing a game for an hour, it stopped working again...

I have contacted live chat support, but the guy I was talking to had no idea what he was talking about. He didn't know his way around windows 10 and was unaware of the applications/drivers supporting this feature, he told me I had to look for HKserv and see if it was enabled, but this has never been on my pc and after a search on the internet I found that it isn't even applicable to my type of acer laptop, which in the end made him advice me to just reset my PC to factory defaults. Which is an option my grandmother could have come up with, which I am trying to avoid since it means having to reinstall and personalize over 40 applications which is going to take me a lot more time than trying to resolve this issue...

What is also bugging me is that even if I were to resolve the issue in this manner, it might as well happen again and then I'd have to go through that time consuming process again.

Is there anyone who is able to tell me where, which driver or application is handling the hook for the keyboard function hotkeys and/or which registry keys are in charge of this?

As of now I am just disabling the touchpad through the mouse menu, because I'm afraid that when I disable them through the function hotkey, I might again be unable to enable it.

Answers