Does the Acer R 13 allow to upgrade the default memory and hard drive?

doctacarta85
doctacarta85 Member Posts: 8 New User

I am looking for a value 13inch wide screen ultra laptop. Ideally, I would like something with 16gb of memory, WQHD or higher screen and 500gb+ SSD. I've been eye balling the R7-371T-78XG.

Does the R7-371T-78XG allow for memory and hard drive expansion?

Thanks for your time

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

There are no slots.There is no Memory dimm/stick to replace. The memory is soldered to the motherboard.

Answers

• philetus

The R13 R7-371T-76P5 comes with a 512GB SSD for $84 more which is about right for what they're offering.

There is no replacable memory and no upgrade. It's soldered to the motherboard.

• doctacarta85

That is interesting that you say that because I got a hold of a Acer sales rep late yesterday and he said the memory was upgradeable to 16GB but hard drives weren't. Do you actually own this laptop or work for Acer?

Thanks!

• philetus

Neither. I was going by the service manual.

These are the R13s. Which one is yours.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/laptops/aspirer13

• doctacarta85

It is this one: R7-371T-78XG

I don't see a service manual, only a data sheet which doesn't say anything about max memory or expandability. It is also funny how the Acer rep said he wasn't allow to email the service manual. Lol

• philetus

I am not an official employee of Acer, but I am an unofficial unpaid volunteer.

The service manual does say,

System Memory

Dual-channel LP-DDR3 SDRAM support

4 GB of on-board LPDDR3 memory

8 GB of on-board LPDDR3 memory

Up to 16 GB maximum memory capacity 

The 16GB max memory capacity part is wrong and this is probably where the "Acer rep" got this idea.

Here is a R7-371T motherboard. If you look at both sides, you will see there is no memory sockets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-R7-371T-Motherboard-Heatsink-Fan-DA0ZS8MB8E1-NBMQP11002-AC5-/201569353305?hash=item2eee783e59:gSmiley SurprisedXIAAOSwO~hXH53y

• doctacarta85
    Why do you think that is wrong? Wouldn't it be possible to put just one 16gb stick in replace of the 8gb stick? I can't really see memory slots on those photos but I am on my phone.
  • philetus
    Answer ✓

There are no slots.There is no Memory dimm/stick to replace. The memory is soldered to the motherboard.

• doctacarta85

Well that is frustrating! Lol. Thanks for your help.

Do you have any personal recommendations for a 13 WQHD+, max memory 16GB and upgradable SSD for under $1,000?

Thanks again!