Is there a fine-point stylus/tablet pen for a Acer Switch Tablet SW5-011? Do I need a driver?

Options
RWerda
RWerda Member Posts: 2 New User

I appear to have an Acer Switch Tablet- an Aspire SW5-011- that readily works with a 'bubble-nose' style pointer, and not a plastic fine point stylus I happen to have with another hand-held. I note that Acer's stylus/tablet pen omits mentioning my specific model (e.g. SW5-111 is as close as one gets).

Is there a stylus out there with a fine point that I could use on my Acer Switch Tablet- an Aspire SW5-011 so that I can use MS/Journal (for starters)? I am prepared to learn about any compatible driver that I need to first upload.

I am hoping that my screen and/or mousepad hardware, from a digitization functionality, is not the sole and unsurmountable issue.

Please, dear Acer community, advise!

Thanks.

Answers

• Greywolf1967
    Greywolf1967 Member Posts: 46 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

If your Tablet ( like mine, Acer W3 ), has no digitizer layer then items like The Surface Pen will not work. However do not loose hope!!!

Your answer is an Active Stylus, a Pen that uses a battery to supply static charge that will mimic your finger, now add in a fine point tip model and you will be close to the big boys ( Surface, Galaxy Note ).

I use the Adonit Jot Script Evernote Edition Fine Point Active Stylus. It has bluetooth and built in battery and charges via USB port.

I say it has bluetooth, but any features that are supported via bluetooth do not apply to Windows, as most Active Stylus are marketed for iOS.

I did a topic on this and have a video demo

Active Stylus used with Acer W3

No drivers needed and once you get used to drawing and hand writing with no palm reject, it is very good.

Now there are many active stylus, but so far I have only tested 1 model. I got lucky my investment paid off, I can not say how well others will work....but just make sure Active Stylus is in the description and you should be good.

• RWerda
    RWerda Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you for your quick turnaround on this question, my brother!  I appreciate the insight, including learning a facet about "Active Stylus" that I was not aware of (I confess I thought it was a brand name, not a class of stylus. It is a relief that I do not have to hunt for a driver.

Would it be your humble opinion that there would be sufficient dexterity and precision with such an Active Stylus that I could use it on MS/Journal reasonably well? Any makes & models that you could suggest me scouting for?

To maintain continuity, I am going to start my window shopping and in-store testing of such styli: I will report my findings back to this community for the benefit of same at large.

Again, sincerest thank you!

Cheers

Ron

• Greywolf1967
    Greywolf1967 Member Posts: 46 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Well  I know for sure Adonit Jot Script works, and they have 2 models of fine tip active stylus. I would say in this case YouTube is your friend. Search Active stylus and see which model works for you.

Remember most are marketed for iPhone and iPad, so any that offer bluetooth palm reject does not apply to Windows as we are not supported yet.

I will also say the more you use, the better you become with the pen......in the video I linked above, I filmed that within the first hour I had the Pen home.