Acer W3 new life to old hardware. Added a Pen and Windows 10 :) (also all non pen touch tablets ).

Options
Greywolf1967
Greywolf1967 Member Posts: 46 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

A pen you say.....but the Acer W3/W4 has no digitizer layer you say....the trick here is it's an Active Stylus. I am sure this will work on other non Pen Supported Laptop/Tablet as long as they are Capasitive touch. 

The model I took a gamble on was  Adonit Jot Script Evernote Edition ( A Jot Script with 6 months on Evernote Upgrade ).

There are many Active Stylus models to choose from, and for 99% of them, they are made for Apple iPad and iPhones. Adonit hinting it works with Windows Tablets as there is no support or apps that have built in support.

So what is an Active Stylus?  It is a Pen like Stylus that has a battery inside that makes the static charge in the tip to mimic you finger touch. Unlike a Passive Stylus ( Fat Much Tip ).

An Active Stylus has a fine point tip much like a ball point pen tip and gives you better control on screen. So much better now hand written notes, drawing is now closer to MS Surface/ Digital Pen supported device.

If you have ever tried to use the Passive Stylus ( Fat Mush Tip), to write, ink, draw you know it is much like using your finger and not at all something that is easy to do.

So now Windows Apps like One Note, Evernote, Sketchbook, Fresh Paint are very useful on my Acer W3 !!

To add in Evernote for Touch there is no ability to hand print a note......until you switch your on screen keyboard in W 8.1 or W10 to hand written input. Just write and the text will show up in the app.

Ever tried to use your finger or a passive stylus in File Explorer/Windows Menus and become frustreted by always touching the wrong thing.........with a Fine Tip Active stylus your touch points are now tiny and I would say you are going to get the right thing almost 99% of the time now. Desktop mode and touch is a breeze now for me !!!!!

I am just blown away by how much my W3 became more useful with adding Windows 10 and a Pen.

I know you will want proof, and I plan on adding a video to youtube soon, and I will update here.

If you already use an Active Stylus with a non pen supported Windows device post up your model/pen and findings !!!!!!!

Edit to add pictures.....

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

Answers