4k 60hz with RL85

savestheday
savestheday Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

The Intel 5010u (with hd5500 graphics) supports 4k60hz resolution. I've read reviews of the RL85 which specify that the unit can output 4k 60hz but I'm not able to achieve this.

I know the HDMI 1.4 port can only do 4k @ 30hz, but the Mini Dispayport 1.2 should support 4k @ 60hz.

I bought a converter for my TV (HDMI 2.0) from Club3d, which converts mini displayport to 4k@60hz, but even with this connected, I can only see 4k 30hz in the list of supported modes from the REVO:

available outputs.jpg

Note that 3840 by 2160 at 60hz is missing from the 'list of valid modes', even though it is in Intel's spec for the HD5500.

List modes.JPG 

The control panel acknowledges that my monitor (TV) supports 4k 60hz, so I'm not sure why this isn't showing in the list of available modes:

Monitor Modes.jpg

If I try to create a custom resolution, I receive an error message that 4k 60hz 'exceeds the available bandwidth', or something to that effect. I did a bit of reading, and apparently manufacturers of motherboards can limit this bandwidth in the BIOS, but I can't find where to change this, or to find out if this is even the problem.

Can anyone else verify that they're able to achieve 4k 60hz output on their Windows 10 REVO?

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer

Hello,

Here are the official specifications:

• Support dual display through HDMI and mini DP
    • mini DP port up to 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz
    • HDMI port up to 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz
    France
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Yes, specs confirm that 4K @60Hz is available on RL85.

which Intel Driver are you using?

from Acer support website or Intel website?

the best will be a direct DP connection if possible, just to exclude an adapter issue or point to Intel or BIOS issue.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • savestheday

@ironfly drivers are from the Acer website. I tried both the latest normal driver and the beta display driver.

I don't have a 4k monitor with display port, only tv HDMI 2.0. The converter was quite expensive and has good reviews.

• IronFly

if you are still under warranty, you can give Acer support service a call and ask about resolution issue.

if you don't get a good answer, please reply here and we will try to help you better Smiley Happy

• savestheday

I spoke to Acer. The Revo does indeed support 4k60hz from the Mini Displayport.

However, the Club3D Mini DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter can only do 4k60hz at 8-bit colour. The Revo RL85 only allows 32-bit colour, which is too much information for the adapter.

So the short answer is, at the moment there is no way to get 4k60hz out of a RL85 and into a 4k TV via HDMI 2.0. The converter won't work.

• savestheday

I spoke to Acer. The Revo does indeed support 4k60hz from the Mini Displayport.

However, the Club3D Mini DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter can only do 4k60hz at 8-bit colour. The Revo RL85 only allows 32-bit colour, which is too much information for the adapter.

So the short answer is, at the moment there is no way to get 4k60hz out of a RL85 and into a 4k TV via HDMI 2.0. The converter won't work.

• IronFly

Good to hear it Smiley Happy

• eduardgerg
    eduardgerg Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, did someone found in the end an adapter or a cable that can bind the miniadapter 1.2 with a hdmi 2.0 port through 32 bit color rate? All hints would be highly appreciated. Cheers, Eduard