Acer Predator17 G9-791-735A g-sync and egpu support.

Options
eBaCmYuJ
eBaCmYuJ Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited January 13 in Predator Laptops

So I'm in the market for a new laptop, specifically a gaming laptop. The reason I want a gaming laptop is I just don't have the room for a separate desktop and if I"m on the go I want to be able to play some games. Now with external GPU enclosures becoming main stream at least by the end of 2016 beginning of 2017 I can now have best of both worlds. Even though it will be more pricey then a desktop, but I'm okay with that and I'm more then okay with a 9 pound laptop. Question 1 is will predator series laptops support say Razer or any other external GPU enclosures that house full seize graphics cards? Second will G-sync be available soon or at the end of the year for the laptops? (Played with my buddies MSI g-sync laptop and his none g-sync MSI laptop and loved the g-sync way better.)  The biggest thing for me will be the External GPU support. I love the look of the predator series laptops, and all the other features, so I'm really hoping that I will be purchasing one in a few months or so, but if Acer won't support external GPU from other manufacturer or bring their own out then I"ll have to look else where.

Answers

• davids_
    davids_ Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hi, did you find out if there will be external gpu support? I'm in the same situation 

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
    Options

Hi,

you're talking about this Razer Core?

I think the producer of this external solution just needs the thunderbolt slot and then a driver for this solution is needed, which comes from the producer of this external box.

So not really a question to Acer? Or you want them to support the developers of this external GPU solutions?

• davids_
    davids_ Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry i think I didn't explain myself correctly.
    Basically I would like to know if I'll be able to connect any external gpu using the thunderbolt port. If I would like to use the razer core for example or other gpu enclosure. will they be compatible? Does the bios has to be updated? Are there any restrictions?
    Have you tried it yourself?

Thanks
  • meocon
    meocon Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

As long as I digged in Razer Core site, this external system seems to go with Razer Blade Stealth.

Although, it's a little bit confusing when "The Razer Core is the world’s first true plug and play Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) external graphics enclosure, allowing you to transform your NOTEBOOK into a desktop gaming experience. Featuring plug and play support with compatible graphics cards, you won’t need to reboot your system every time you connect your Razer Blade Stealth to Razer Core".

I'm not sure if the term "notebook" here is only for RBS, or it may be applied for other laptops. The way producers describe their product may lead to misunderstanding, just like G-sync promblem on Predator laptop series. The point is if we have two or more GPUs, the laptop may not understand which one to use, then it would require certain setting and/or software.

On other website, I've read "The GX700 has an overclockable, laptop-class Intel Core i7 processor and an overclockable, desktop-class Nvidia GeForce GTX 980. All the internals are found in the main laptop unit, with the device able to function as a powerful gaming laptop – unlike some alternatives, where the desktop-class GPU is available only via an external dock", "Alienware might not have been the first to introduce GPU boxes".

Then yes, there are external GPUs for laptops already. But that would it be compatible with Thudenbold port on Predators (or be compatible with Predators at all) remains unknown.

And here, if you want to be the white mouse: pcworld.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-powerhouse-with-an-external-graphics-card.html

The author also mentioned Thunderbolt in the conclusion.

Anyway, I like the idea to have external GPU. It'd help to boost the performance significantly in needed situations Smiley Very Happy

• predicec
    predicec Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

The situation does seem odd but is quite usual for consumer electronics like Tvs etc. I guess there are few people who understand it, and even fewer who know the full picture when there are just a few cryptic marketing pronouncements like these. Perhaps someone from Customer Support or another Acer dept. will explain it all properly...

• SquishyMuffin
    SquishyMuffin Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

https://youtu.be/w2BdiAbz6iA?t=4m24s

Technically all laptops with the thunderbolt port can connect to external GPU's and work. Not many have been correctly updated through drivers,bios etc to support say the Razor one optimally. At the moment it needs to be razor on razor action or alienware with their one. The port is a good form of future proofing and it must be supported sooner or later.

• Maff_C
    Maff_C Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi, anybody got anything to add here now some time has passed? 

I'm on a G9-791 looking to get an eGPU.

Thanks
  • Maff_C
    Maff_C Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Anyone got an experience?
This discussion has been closed.