Acer Predator 15 G9-591-70VM CPU Overheat

readingrainbow
readingrainbow Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hello,

I am having a massive issue with overheating on my Skylake 6700HQ.  

When playing a game like Dota 2 on 1920 x 1080 high settings, I will run around 95-115 fps, however when I look at the CPU temp it has reached as high as 188 F.  The GPU during this time only maxed out at 150 F.  My house is currently about 65 F, the computer has pleanty of airflow, is only three weeks old, and sits on top of a cooling pad.  I enabled the Acer quick start "Cooling Boost" which enabled the onboard fans to go up to 4600 rpm, but the CPU still reads 180 F after only 5-6 min of playing the game. 

I have tried this both on the built in monitor, as well as single display on the Acer Predator XB241H Gsync monitor.

I have no other programs running besides steam, and either predator sense or HWMonitor.

I am really hoping for some feedback from Acer on this issue because I am in Vermont in March, it's 20 degrees outside and I'm having a overheating issue on the CPU after 5 mintues on a fairly easy to run game.  I get the feeling that these computers will not survive the summer.

I have purchased two of these exact same model (6700hq i7, 16g ram, gtx 970m) and one is still completely stock, and the other has an upgraded samsung evo SSD.

They both display the exact same issue with massive CPU overheating in mintues of launching any even moderatly intensive game.

Once again, the GPU never goes above 155 F.

Thanks

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi readingrainbow,

So for some quick conversions 180f = 82c and 155f = 68c.

Both of those temperatures are warm, but they're certainly not overheating. You're laptops are generally spec'd to run a bit warmer than your desktop PC and airflow is always going to one of the main issues internally. You're probably see issues with shutdowns around 100-105c. As an example, my desktop GPU doesn't even enable to fans until the card reaches 60c (this freaked me out the first time Smiley Happy ) and usually idles at 60-70c when I'm gaming, and that's in a high air flow case.

It doesn't sound like you have any issues to me but maybe some others with personal experience can step in.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• readingrainbow
    readingrainbow Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just ran a 10 minute test game in Dota 2 and put the fans on both of the laptops on max (4600ish rpm) - they clocked in maxing around 93-95 C.  In 60ish degree room temp (Low humidty as well) both with cooling fans.  From my research - although limited - it seems that 93-95C can be classifed as a danger zone for laptops; and they certainly will not be able to run longer than a few minutes safely during the warmer months of the year operating as such.

Temps were logged through HWM Monitor and verified through Predator Sense.

Core #1 logged as high as 98 C.  This is from 28 C logged right before I opened the game.  Again, in ten minutes.

GPU during this time never pushed past 61 C, which, based on my research, is an amazingly low temp.

However, both laptops point to severe CPU overheat.

This is an enourmous concern for me as I have invested a great deal in this product line.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,208 Trailblazer

Hello,

I would install or re-install the chipset driver:

ChipsetIntelChipset Driver10.1.1.134.7 MB2016/02/01Download
    France
  • Lyon
    Lyon Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter

98°C on processor in brand new laptop IMHO isnt normal. I didnt reach so high temps even on my 2 years old multimedial laptop with 4700HQ. I would expect temperatures around 85°C max.

• GeminiJ13
    GeminiJ13 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi.

If reinstallation of the Chipset Driver does not work, I would suspect two things. Something is internally blocking the CPU from getting cooling.  So a physical fan blockage or the heat pipes were manufactured with defects. Two, there could be insufficient/too much thermal paste on the CPU itself.

• yan870126
    yan870126 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter

I'm Having the same issues also mine is Predator G9-593 with kabby lake i7-7700HQ when playing dota 2 it's easily reach up 89C. it's very hot, even  i stress test the CPU it only reached 78C max. why such things happened?

any updates from ACER?