Predator G9-591-70XR - Audio Output

ryan_li
ryan_li Member Posts: 2 New User

I recently purchased a Predator G9-591 with GTX 980m graphics card. When I connect the laptop with my Home Theater system (which in turn conencts to a TV) via HDMI cable, everything was great and the sound output is through Intel Audio output. However when I start playing game, the sound doesn't come out from the Home Theater system anymore, it comes out from the laptop speaker. 

I assuming it is because when I play game, the laptop switches from Intel integrated graphic card to GTX980m. I couldn't find a Nvidia High Definition Audio Output in the system (both in Sound and Device Manager), only Realtek (the speaker) and Intel Audio output (the integraded graphic card I think).  

Hence I would like to ask that

1) does the GTX980m in the laptop has an audio output function? If yes, how can I enable it? 

2) if no to above, can I connect my TV through Display Port and connect Home Theater through HDMI, so using the Display Port to output video signal and HDMI to output audio signal? Would the Intel integrated graphic card be disabled when switched to GTX980m and not able to output audio?

Given the laptop doesn't have S/PDIF output, I don't know whethere there is a way I can output 5.1 sound via a digital output channel. 

Best Answer

• ryan_li
    Answer ✓

Thank you all for your answer. I have re-solved the issue myself. 

Turned out that the 980m graphics card is fixed to Display Port output, and Intel integrated graphics is fixed to HDMI output. I connected my Home Theater to my laptop through DIsplay Port, which in turn connected to TV, everything is fine again, and I can get 5.1 sound when play games. 

Answers

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

Hi,

maybe the only solution for you is an external USB sound card?

But you should always be able to choose the output device (HDMI in your case). Some applications/games have their own config, to choose the output device (like Kodi for e.g.). Maybe you can fix your game-sound there?

All output is managed over the Intel Graphics Tool here. I don't think, that you have any difference in sound with Display Port.

steve

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

check if nvidia HDMI audio output is disable or disconnected:

right click the speaker icon near clock and date, choose playback devices, right click on the new windows and tick Show disconnected and disabled devices.

check if nvidia HDMI output is here or Realtek Digital audio

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ryan_li
    Answer ✓

Thank you all for your answer. I have re-solved the issue myself. 

Turned out that the 980m graphics card is fixed to Display Port output, and Intel integrated graphics is fixed to HDMI output. I connected my Home Theater to my laptop through DIsplay Port, which in turn connected to TV, everything is fine again, and I can get 5.1 sound when play games.