What is the best compatible microSD card and maximum capacity for an Iconia One 10 android tablet?

Options
frivvy89
frivvy89 Member Posts: 5 New User

Could someone tell me what is the best compatible microSD card and maximum capacity for an Iconia One 10 android tablet?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Two possibilities: the message might be that your actual RAM is low, meaning you are trying to run too many apps at once. Closing some should help a bunch. The other is more likely and that it is the internal storage that is running low. There is a fair amount that can be done to help that, but it's primarily dependant on what's causing the space to be filled. If it's a case of too many apps installed (when apps are installed by default they go to internal storage, the SD card is typically only used for data),  one or more app that's filling things up with log files, or personal data that still on the internal storage instead of on the SD.

Check for the last first. Make sure your pictures, videos and music are all on the SD card. If you find tham in the internal storage, move them. Make sure you tell the apps that use them where the new location is.

Next check for application specific data being stored when it shouldn't be. Many of the file managers will do this for you, looking for left over or extra large logfiles. Settings; Applications; Application Manager (or similar, names depend a bit on OS version) should allow you to look at each apps data and cache. Clearing those when appropriate will free up space.

Finally look at the applications you have downloaded. Are there any that you just don't use? If so uninstall them. Note that system and preloaded apps typically can't be uninstalled, but you can often remove updates and then disable them to free up a bit of space.

Storage space on an Android device always tends to rear it's head and the older the device gets the bigger the problem seems to be. If I were a conspiracy type I'd suggest Google has an incentive to keep us buying new machines every couple of years...  Nah. Smiley Happy

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options

I use SanDisk cards myself, and sizes up to 128GB work fine, I expect larger ones will too when they are available. Stay away from generics and really cheap cards. They are often small cards that have been reprogrammed to appear larger than they actually are.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • frivvy89
    Options
    Thank you for your help. Unfortunately I bought a 512gb off of eBay and it just made my tablet reboot and freeze. My tablet is brand new so I knew it was the SD card. Thanks again!
  • frivvy89
    Options
    I have another question for you. Is your SanDisk sdcard a microSDXC or microSDHC?
  • billsey
    Options

All cards >32GB are SDXC models. When you put an XC card into a HC slot it works, just at the slower HC speeds. You also will often not be able to format an XC card froma HC slot.

Sounds like you got burned by that eBay purchase, be sure to open a case against the seller so you can be refunded.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Be aware that a lot of USB flash drive, SD and microSD on ebay are fakes.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • frivvy89
    Options

First, thank you for your response. I since have purchased 128gb scandisk storage. But I keep getting the message my system memory is low. Is there a way to upgrade it?

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Two possibilities: the message might be that your actual RAM is low, meaning you are trying to run too many apps at once. Closing some should help a bunch. The other is more likely and that it is the internal storage that is running low. There is a fair amount that can be done to help that, but it's primarily dependant on what's causing the space to be filled. If it's a case of too many apps installed (when apps are installed by default they go to internal storage, the SD card is typically only used for data),  one or more app that's filling things up with log files, or personal data that still on the internal storage instead of on the SD.

Check for the last first. Make sure your pictures, videos and music are all on the SD card. If you find tham in the internal storage, move them. Make sure you tell the apps that use them where the new location is.

Next check for application specific data being stored when it shouldn't be. Many of the file managers will do this for you, looking for left over or extra large logfiles. Settings; Applications; Application Manager (or similar, names depend a bit on OS version) should allow you to look at each apps data and cache. Clearing those when appropriate will free up space.

Finally look at the applications you have downloaded. Are there any that you just don't use? If so uninstall them. Note that system and preloaded apps typically can't be uninstalled, but you can often remove updates and then disable them to free up a bit of space.

Storage space on an Android device always tends to rear it's head and the older the device gets the bigger the problem seems to be. If I were a conspiracy type I'd suggest Google has an incentive to keep us buying new machines every couple of years...  Nah. Smiley Happy

• frivvy89
    Options

Awesome, thanks for the advice. It has really helped Robot Very Happy)

• billsey
    Options

Happy to give it, and hope it actually helps. Smiley Happy