D255E and Windows 10

tottin
tottin Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an Acer Aspire One AOD255E. Has anyone upgraded this model to Windows 10? Acer doesn't support Windows 10 drivers. If anyone has upgraded, have you experienced any problems with drivers?

Some time ago I upgraded my ram to 2 gb. Acer doesn't support that either, but it works fine. It has helped some but still slow. Would I still be able to choose 32bit even though I have 2gb? Do I need to have my Windows Certified Authentication Key handy to type in? Or is all this automated?

I use "Macrium Reflect" to image my drives, but there is one partition on this netbook that it won't image. I have never resolved this problem. Still I have the factory recovery on a usb stick. I'm hoping that if the windows 10 upgrade fails that I will be able to reinstall windows 7 starter.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm nervous about doing this.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,435 Trailblazer

>>> Acer doesn't support Windows 10 drivers. If anyone has upgraded, have you experienced any problems with drivers? Some time ago I upgraded my ram to 2 gb. Acer doesn't support that either, but it works fine. It has helped some but still slow.>>>

Your system does indeed officially support 2GB, unofficially maybe more. If it still works fine except for the slowness, I'd advise staying with Win7 starter. Win10 will likely be slower, not to mention probable driver issues. But you could try the upgrade anyway. And if you're not happy, you could probably recover Win7 starter from your USB stick or from the hidden recovery partition on your hard drive(the partition your imaging software probably can't and hopefully didn't corrupt). There's a lotta maybes, probablys and likelys in trying a Win10 update on your atom-powered machine. If it were mine and reliable  despite its slowness, I wouldn't do it.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• trinhhongque
    trinhhongque Member Posts: 1 New User

I have installed windows 10 pro preview 11099. There's no problems with the current drivers. The performance is good with 2GB RAM. The windows 10 is really better than windows 7 starter. The slowness occurs in both of them. Just try to run single program every time as you can.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,435 Trailblazer

Great. But as you likely already know, the preview version doesn't guarantee the same or even similar results as with a production upgrade. If you do choose to upgrade anyway, you should make your own recovery media before doing so.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ