E5-473G Wifi Not Available

Options
bboyemil
bboyemil Member Posts: 5 New User
Windows 8.1 Single Language Processor : Intel(R) Core (TM) i5 - 5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz RAM 4.00 64 bit operating system - Unable to detect any Connection [Wifi, LAN, Hotspot]. - Ethernet, VPN and Bluetooth are good. - Troubleshooting won't detect the problem. - Windows, Defender and Avast Antivirus updated to the latest update. - Network Adapter installed and updated to the latest update. 1. Realteck PCle GBE Family Controller ** 2. Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device Bought this laptop on August 2015. After a month, I upgraded this laptop to windows 10. After several months, the laptop cannot find any wifi, LAN and even my handphone hotspot. I ended up factory reset it. Then I updated the windows 8.1 to the latest updates but the laptop still can't find any network. Please do help me

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi bboyemil

Let me get this right. Your Wifi AND LAN have stopped working on Window 10 (after initialy working OK), so you restored back to Windows 8.1 and they are still not working?

I'd suggest you have an issue with the motherboard - if it was just the Wifi, then I would have thought the wifi card was at fault & would need replacing.

If you're still under warranty, contact support. If you're outside of warranty then see a local PC store.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I think he said ethernet works.

Maybe uninstall avast.  And then uninstall your wireless driver from device manager.  Use Acer Care Center app that is installed on your computer for all critical updates and driver updates.

Or just start over.....reset pc to factory condition.  Choose "just remove my files".  Don't install Avast. Test your wifi.  Go in to BIOS and load defaults F9 and then save/exit F10.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

There can be several reasons why you are not able to connect to a network wirelessly. To troubleshoot the issue, check if following the instructions mentioned on the link below work:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-connect-to-network#1TC=windows-8

If the issue still persists, you are advised to contact nearest Acer service center using the link below to check if there is any hardware issue:
    http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service

Hope this will help you.

• finlux
    Options

OK, my mistake - I read it as Wifi and LAN not working!

I'd agree with Jordan's suggestions. If there are still issues, then it may well be the wifi card...

• JordanB
    Options

I see people with 3rd party antivirus and firewalls like Avast and ESET NOD32 having problems all the time.  Hopefully that's all it is and not something more serious.

http://nitemice.com/2012/07/01/no-network-access-avast-to-blame/

• finlux
    Options

That's a very interesting article, Jordan. I've been a user and a recommending Avast now for a long time. I've not encountered this issue before, either myself or with those I've converted to Avast. The one thing in common? The huge majority are Acer machines!

It will be interesting to see if it IS Avast causing the issue, but raises the question: "Why does it cause problems for certain people only?"

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Could be the ones that have the issues are Type A, C, and F WiFi cards and all others that don' thave the issues may have all the other types of WiFi cards that the problem isn't part of...

Just a guess

James

• JordanB
    Options

I mainly see ESET NOD32 blocking but some Avast too.  

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140144.0

• JordanB
    Options

Sometimes if you're not connected to private network, they (third party antivirus/firewall) won't let you connect at all.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140612.0

http://support.eset.com/kb2141/?viewlocale=en_US

prvt.PNG

• finlux
    Options
    Ok then. Bboyemil, I suggest uninstalling Avast and just to use (for now) the built in AV (Defender) to see if it works....
  • bboyemil
    Options

Thank you for the reply guys. I really appreaciate it. It could come from Avast but after I make Factory Reset [From windows 10 to windows 8.1 and removed all files and apps], the issue still exist. Although Avast is gone due to the reset, my laptop still can't find any wifi or LAN.

I tried Acer Care Center but it said everything is up to date. There are only 2 network adapter. I was wondering if the issue come from missing network adapter or both installed are enough. As everyone can see from the screenshot below, I can't see any network. I only able to connect to internet through USB tethering from my smatphone. WIFI connection in my Network Connection are also missing.

Image.png

I might try uninstalling Avast later if issue still not solved.

• bboyemil
    Options

I also went to Acer Support to check the Adapter list but I really don't know which one is missing. So I rely 100% on Acer Care Center.

A screenie of driver available for my laptop model from Acer Support.

4.png

• finlux
    Options

If you go back to the drivers list look for the link I've circled below:

Capture.PNG

This little program will advise on your adaptor.

• bboyemil
    Options

Latest update:

- Uninstalled Avast Antivirus - Issue still exist.

- Installed the Acer program for detecting outdated driver - everything is up to date and issue still exist.

- After both action above, I restarted my laptop but issue still exist

If I still can't solve this, then I have to bring it to service center. I never had this problem with other lappy model though =.=

• finlux
    Options

Looks like your Wifi card may have failed then?

I think you're just unlucky - the Wifi adaptor can fail just as easily in any other make.

Good luck anyway, and let us know how you get on!

• bboyemil
    Options

Btw, thank you finlux Smiley Happy