Acer Aspire e 15 cannot boot from CD

Options
jblanch3
jblanch3 Member Posts: 8 New User

I bought an Acer Aspire E 15 yesterday and am relatively happy with it thus far.  However, I do have a caveat.  While I don't mind Windows, I prefer to use a Linux OS.  I burned an Ubuntu ISO onto a DVD and rebooted the system.  It started Windows 10.  I restarted, went into the BIOS, and changed the boot order so that the DVD drive would be booted first.  No can-do, still loaded up Windows.  I changed the Boot sequence to a Legacy one, and then nothing booted up at all upon restart.  So I just had to go back and change it back to where it was. 

I want to try it on a flash drive, but cannot find it at the moment.  I'm thinking that if I couldn't boot it up from DVD, it probably wouldn't boot up from a flash either, but will try anyway.  Would upgrading the BIOS make a difference?  I know that it isnt recommended, but to me, not being able to boot up from a CD to install the OS that I'd rather use is a pretty big deal to me.  I have Googled and come up upon several Linux forums that weren't of much help.  Can you guys figure out a fix?  Thanks.   

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

if you will try the flash drive way, please use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive with Ubuntu .iso

select UEFI/EFI partition scheme and FAT32 as format

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

don't siwtch to Legacy, use only UEFI but....try to disable secure boot:

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-boot

then try to boot from CD again.

Please remember to create a recovery disk or flash drive (better) to restore your system to factory in the worst case.

• jblanch3
    Options

Hi IronFly,  

I tried what you suggested.  Still nothing.  It keeps just going to Windows 10, even though I changed the boot order to where the Windows booter is the last thing on the list.  I couldn't find my flash drive, so will buy a new one and hopefully I will have better luck.  

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

if you will try the flash drive way, please use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive with Ubuntu .iso

select UEFI/EFI partition scheme and FAT32 as format

• jblanch3
    Options

Hey IronFly.  

I bought a flash drive and did what you said, and it worked.  However, now I have another problem, apparently unrelated to the Acer.  After trying to install Ubuntu from the GRUB menu, I get a black screen.  It just stays black, no matter what I do.  I tried it again, then I tried using Unetbootin rather than Rufus, then I tried a different Linux OS (Linux Mint).  No matter what I do, same thing.  I Googled around and find that it's a problem for others.  As it's unrelated to my particular Acer model, I can't really ask here for a fix.  

Not sure what to do now.  I was really looking forward to having a Linux OS to complment Windows 10.    Thanks for all your help.  

• jblanch3
    Options

Ironfly,  

Thank you!!  I was thinking of updating the BIOS, but felt like it was a big risk for something that probably wouldn't work.  Now I wish I did, and will when I get a chance after work.  Thanks for the link!

• IronFly
    Options

can you post your complete laptop model?

Ex-xxx

Sometimes a BIOS update is really needed to fix issues. Smiley Happy

• jblanch3
    Options

IronFly,  

I upgraded the BIOS and the install worked!  Thanks.  But as you probably guessed, there was another problem.  Upon restarting the computer after the installation, the GRUB menu didn't turn up and it took me to Windows.  I ran Boot Repair, which is a program that you run to solve just this kind of problem, and it didn't.  I am just going to stick wtih Windows 10 for now.  I have this brand new computer and have not been able to enjoy it or check out what features it has just so I can install another OS.  I am going to try again at some point, but I'm just tired and so is my Acer, I have put it through the winger with the constant reboots.  But you've been such a great help.  At least I can install Linux now, which I was not able to do before.  It's just a matter of making sure the GRUB menu appears at startup.  

I really appreciate it.  Thank you again.  

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• jblanch3
    Options

IronFly,  

Just wanted to update you.  I was reading about how you could install an entire operating system to a stick and I was thinking of doing it that way.  Before I did, I went to my BIOS again when booting up and turned on the option to access the boot menu with F12.  So I rebooted, hit F12, and this time, in addition to the Windows Boot, there was another option for "Unknown Device."  On a lark, I went to that, pressed Enter, and lo and behold, the GRUB menu appeared, with options for Ubuntu and Windows too.  I Selected Ubuntu and it booted up.  So in order to access the GRUB menu, I had to press F12 and choose the Unknown Device.  Kind of convoluted, but at least I'm able to access Ubuntu now.  My problem is officially solved, I wanted to thank you again and let you know.   

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome, i'm glad you "kind of" solved Smiley Happy

• jblanch3
    Options

IronFly,  

LOL.  I have to laugh at this point.  My dilemma persists.  As I said, yesterday morning, I was able to access Ubuntu by pressing F11 to go into the Boot Manager.  Anyway, I was getting around Ubuntu for the first time, and was prompted to update it.  I did so, and then was prompted to restart.  I did, and when I got to the Acer screen, I hit the F11 key to access the Boot Manager and Ubuntu.  Only, all I saw on the Boot Manager screen was the Windows Boot Loader.  The Unknown program that appeared before, that turned out being Ubuntu, just disappeared.  

I fired up the Recovery Boot program I have for Linux, nothing happened.  I Googled my new problem, and nothing resembling it seems to exist.  I'm going to access a Linux help site and post my problem there, maybe someone there will be able to help.  Just thought you'd want to know, lol.  

• IronFly
    Options

F12 not F11 Smiley Happy

by the way...this is one of the crazy linux things.

few days ago i was trying to install ubuntu 15.10 on a laptop, nothing....kernel panic after few seconds trying to live boot.

tried with 15.04, installed without any issue and updated to 15.10 without kernel panic....so?

who knows?

but i was not alone with this issue. Smiley Happy