DX4870----ACER IPIMB-AR GPU Problems

Jxmar99
Jxmar99 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

I just acquired a Gateway DX4870 restored to factory settings from my sister and am looking to install a new GPU in order to play some graphic intensive games. I purchased a GTX 960. When installed and hooked up, connected via HDMI, all I get is a black screen with no video. I did some research and found quite a few other people having the same issue with the ACER IPIMB-AR Motherboard that comes with the computer. I have tried the various BIOS changes out there, but nothing helped. The changes suggested either did not work, or were not available options on my BIOS (possible locked BIOS?). 

Please help. 

How can I get past this and get a new GPU in this computer? 

Thanks for your time!

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

I don't want to say that your Bios isn't or is locked as I have heard so many think they are.. However I wonder what steps you have taken to make this GPU upgrade in your PC?

First, are you using the 350W aka 400W Max PSU that comes in some of the Gateway PCs? If you are I think that one issue could be that your not using a Powerful enough PSU? Some others came with a 300W max PSU so I don't know if yours has been upgraded or not

Just because the Fan on the GPU turns don't mean that it is working.... The Fan runs differently then the Card power wise. Also I am sure you know but did you plug in the Power that goes to the card? I don't know if it has the adapters but I have seen some cards that give connecters that tap into the extra HDD cabling. 

Take some Pictures and Post so we can see what is going on as well. may Be helpful

James

• norvell84
    norvell84 Member Posts: 9 New User

To unlock the bios if it is locked,
    turn your computer off, if not already done,
    unplug the power cord from the back of it,
    Next hold the power button down to drain the extra power out,
    MAKE SURE TO TOUCH METAL BEFORE DOING THE NEXT STEP
    (it removes any static you have, which can short things out)

Remove the battery from the motherboard, and let the computer sit a few minutes I usually push the power button again just in case.

After all that your bios will be reset and unlocked, you mayhave to reset your time in the bios and/or in Windows.

But inside bios you need to enabled the use of external video cards if your sister was not using one already which would mean it is already done and you have another problem with the black screen.