Acer s7 392 Reading the SSD outside of the machine

Options
Negrita
Negrita Member Posts: 10 New User

Hello, my apologies for a long post but does anyone have any idea how I can recover data from the RAID 0 SSD on my aspire S7 392?

Here is the story. I purchased the machine around 18 months ago in Thailand. It came with only 1 year warranty. After 16 months the motherboard died. Replacement was 22,000 Baht around £450 and I was told no boards were available in Thailand. So I spent 22,000 Baht on a replacement notebook with a better CPU and more storage but not so good screen res. To say I am unimpressed with Acer would be an understatement.

Anyway my problem now is to retrieve the data from he RAID 0 SSD.

This is what I have tried so far without success.

I made a disk image of the SSD which took 6 FULL DAYS to complete using a USB 3 to Msata device using a program - reclaim me file recovery (they say that their other product Reclaim me free RAID recovery won't work on RAID 0 on the same disk). But when I went to proceed they tell me I have to buy this product – well maybe if all else fails.

I have a RAID capable PC (not being used as RAID at the moment) so I removed all the hard drives set the BIOS to be RAID and connected the msata using a msata to sata converter. I was hoping that at least the SSD might try to boot even if the actual boot would fail because of the different H/w config for windows and then maybe I could use Freedos or Ubuntu to copy files from the SSD.

I was hopeful as the BIOS recognised the the SSD correctly BUT the system would not even try to boot from the SSD.

I am sure the SSD is OK; BIOS, Hard Disk Sentinel and Paragon Hard Disk Manager all recognise it and HD Sentinel says it is 100% heathy, Paragon Identifies all the partitions but of course says the RAID Partition is "invalid".

To be honest I back up every week so I have only lost a weeks data at most and I could just try to reformat the SSD and use it. BUT I've been involved with computers for a very long time and I hate them to beat me, so any one have any ideas about how to go about trying to read this RAID 0 SSD outside of the now defunct ACER S7 372 (anyone looking for a replacement screen, keyboard etc) .

Finally, a word to Acer if they happen to read this. The Kingston SSD runs very hot and so I know why they put a fan next to it BUT I suggest they build in some sort of warning mechanism in case the fan stops working as I suspect not long after that event so will the SSD.

Thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    Raid 0 is the hardest to retrieve data, you can only hope that RAID array is still healthy.

Even if you have a RAID capable PC, it's not the same hardware and you have to check with your chipset RAID software if array is still working, re-build the array can kill all your data on a different hardware.
    I'm not an Acer employee.