chrome os is missing for damaged c720

joezeller98
joezeller98 Member Posts: 2 New User

a few days ago my chromebook randomly rebooted itself and a yellow exclamation mark screen came up and said "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card." i made a recovery stick and plugged it into my chromebook and the recovery process started but failed after 10 minutes, the second time i tried i used a bigger usb stick and the recovery said it was successful but when it rebooted the same screen exlamation screen came up again. i tried recovering 3 more times with no success after reboot. i called acer but they said my warrenty had run out that very same day and they couldnt help me. they gave me the phone number to there "repair department" but it was actually to AnswersBy. the lady at AnswersBy said there wasnt anything i could do and that i should take my chromebook back to the store i had bought it...but i bought it from amazon. 

after googling this problem i read in a few places that acer would be forgiving with there warrenty and wouldnt leave me hanging so close since the warrenty ended, but im pretty sure thats a lie, theres no way to talk to acer without a current warrenty.

so now im wondering, is there anyway for me to fix this myself?

some of the googling i did told me to press the tab button at the yellow exclamation screen. the recovery reason said "0x5b No bootable kernel found on disk" so that makes me think that i could replace the ssd. would that fix the problem?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

yes, probably the real issue is a damaged SSD.

the original brand and model is:

Kingston SNS4151S3 (the easiest to find, just google...don't worry if you can't find the original 16GB size, you can install the 32GB or even bigger model))

or

SanDisk SSD U110

a little video with an upgraded 128GB SSD:

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • joezeller98
    joezeller98 Member Posts: 2 New User
    awesome! could I also just take the ssd out and format it? would that work as well?
    some people seem to be having problems when they try to upgrade the ssd.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if the SSD is corrupted, formatting can't fix it; since the Chrome recovery already did.

I'm not an Acer employee.