Help with new Aspire One Cloudbook 11

Options
ggriffiths
ggriffiths Member Posts: 11 New User

I have recently purchased an Aspire One Cloudbook 11, it comes with 1 year free subscription of office 365 which was one of the reasons I decided to get this netbook. It however, only has 32gb of internal storage which the majority has been taken by the OS and Apps.

So I have attempted to install Office 365 but I require more space but after deleting the useless apps and add ware I am still without enough space. I do have an external HDD but it seems you cannot store on a different HDD.

It seems stupid for the netbook to be sold with this offer when you cant install Office 365 and surely there must be a work around or will I have to consider taking this product back.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options

>>> It however, only has 32gb of internal storage >>>

Have you tried to install it on OneDrive instead?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ggriffiths
    Options
    Office 365 doesn't give you the option to install on a different drive
  • JackE
    Options

Unfortunately the latest Microsoft click/run installer apparently doesn't support customization as in previous versions. Microsoft claims to be working on fixing this. There may be a workaround using symbolic links to a cloud drive that the installer sees as a local drive. May not work for OneDrive but possibly for DropBox, GoogleDrive etc. I'll get back to you on how to try this workaround.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

Perhaps the easiest symbolic link workaround to try right now, is with a USB or SD drive attached to your cloudbook. First, create a directory on your C:\ drive where you want 365 to be installed. For example, C:\365\. Then, insert a USB drive or SD card and note its drive letter assignment. For example,  D:\

Then run the command prompt as administer. Enter the following command.

mklink /J C:\365\ "D:\"

Please note the forward(/) and backward(\) slashes and the quotation marks(") around the "D:\". 

What this symbolic link workaround hopefully will do is make the external D:\ drive appear as the local C:\365\ directory to the office365 install program. Try it and let us know how it goes.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• ggriffiths
    Options
    Thanks for your help so far.

The only issue with this is that I am unable to select where the office 365 is savd too. I have created the file but have been unable to save the program to it
  • JackE
    Options

OK. Do a cold boot. Then run mklink /J C:\ "D:\" at the administrator command line. Then run the installation setup again and let it install in whatever directory it specifies by default.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ggriffiths
    Options
    I've run the Cmd as administrator however it keeps stating Access Denied
  • JackE
    Options

Do you mean the mklink.exe command gives Access Denied? Or you can't run cmd.exe as administrator?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ggriffiths
    Options
    I can run Cmd as Administrator but when I run the mklink/J C " It states access denied
  • JackE
    Options

OK. You have to run mklink /J C:\ "D:\" as a root or super administrator instead of a user administrator. From the administrator command prompt enter the following command.

net user administrator /active:yes

Then you should be able to run the above mklink command line without being denied access. Then hopefully you'll be able to get the 365 installed on your external drive. However, once you're done doing so I suggest that you turn off the root administrator account by running the above net command except with :no.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ggriffiths
    Options
    I have activated the super administrator however it is still saying access denied when running the command line
  • JackE
    Options

At the command prompt, what happens when you enter the following commands? 

mklink /?

or

mklink help

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ggriffiths
    Options
    They both bring up a menu as tó what each letter does
  • JackE
    Options

OK. Assuming you got no error messages when running the super administrator command, try to log off. Then log back on again. Then try the following mklink commands to check if any will run without access being denied. Note that I left out the quotation marks this time. Make sure your external USB or SD drive shows up as the D: drive.

mklink /J C:\ D:\

mklink /D C:\ D:

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ggriffiths
    Options
    They still state access denied
  • JackE
    Options

Something doesn't seem right with the way cmd.exe is executing. What procedure are you using to run it as an administrator? 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ggriffiths
    Options
    Right click and run as administrator
  • JackE
    Options

Upon right clicking, does a control box appear in which you must respond affirmatively before the command prompt appears?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ggriffiths
    Options
    Yes and I have also used control shift and enter
  • JackE
    Options

OK. Try this command line as an administrator. Note I've exchanged the drive order.

mklink /D D:\ C:\

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ