Acer Aspire E E5-573G-52G3 boot from 2nd HDD (USB or Caddy)

hhjanera
hhjanera Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

My Acer Aspire E E5-573G-52G3 came with 1TB HDD and Win 10. Upon receiving the laptop, I have done the following:

1. Booted up the system on the 1TB HDD

2. created a reinstalltion media of Win 10

3. replaced the pre-installed 1TB HDD with 500GB SSD, i.e. the SSD is now in the primar bay

4. installed a fresh Win 10 on the SSD (different language, though)

So far so good.

The problem occurred when I tried to boot from the 1TB HDD, either in a USB enclosure or in a HDD caddy:

1. If the boot mode is UEFI, seems like I can only boot from the SSD in the primary bay, regardless of what boot order I chose

2. If the boot mode is legacy, then the PC boot up with the following error message:

"Media test failure, check cable",

"No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

At this point, F2 no longer works and the PC is not bootable.

Please help! Many many thanks!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

unplug your SSD and try to boot, this normally permit to access BIOS pressing F2 again.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mshilko
    mshilko Member Posts: 2 New User

Which caddy did you get for this model?  I am having a hard time finding one.  A liunk would be most appreciated.

Mike

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer

Have you created a bootable recovery disk, if you have insert it and press any key when it requires as you have stated in the original post, you don't need to press F2.

• If you haven't found a fix yet.

Check:

1. Start Windows 10 from SSD.

2. Press Window key + R key on keyboard.

3. Type msconfig.

4. Click Ok.

5. "System Configuration" window should open.

6. Click 'Boot' tab

7. Do you see two options? If yes proceed with Suggestion 1 below:

Windows 10 (C:\Windows)

Windows 10 (<HDD drive letter here>:\Windows)

8. Click Cancel to close without changing anything.

Suggestion 1:

1. Restart laptop press F2 to enter bios.
    2. Keep boot mode to UEFI.
    3. Change boot order to bring "Windows Boot Manager" on top using F6.
    4. Save settings and restart.
    5. You should see two Windows 10 options on the screen.

Suggestion 2:

1. To get maximum performance out of SSD and reduce the boot time see if you can get rid of the OS from HDD and use it as data disk only.

2. Backup data, make recovery disks, create disk image if you decide to do so.

3. In my case it reduced boot time from 37 seconds to 11 seconds.

• If you are still looking for one below caddy worked for me.

WoneNice NEW SATA 2nd HDD caddy for 9.5mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM ACER BENQ HP DELL ASUS

1. Remove fake plastic drive bezel and screw hole plate at the back and install them on caddy.

2. Do not overtighten screws on screw hole plate as it will cause laptop backplate screw to mismatch.

3. Bezel looks like it will break but it does not push gently but firmly.

4. Amazon reviews talk about cutting pin 3 or flicking a switch on caddy. Do NOT touch anything. It worked without these destructive ideas. 

5. Screw driver which comes with Caddy helps tighten 4 screws around the HDD.

• shujaat
    shujaat Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, a few years since you posted, but just in case you're still around, can you plz answer the following (I've got this exact model and planning to install SSD into it):

1. Will any 9.5mm caddy fit into it? Do all 9.5 caddies have standard shape/dimensions?
    2. Does this model boot from 2nd hdd in case I move current HDD to caddy and want to boot from that?
    3. I read somewhere that Acer laptops have a shutdown problem with 2nd hdd installed. Did you face it?