Disabling the Touchpad

Options
Good-Vibes
Good-Vibes Member Posts: 2 New User

What are the short cut keys to enable/disable the touchpad on a 2009 Acer Aspire 5517 laptop using Windows 7?  I have tried Fn+F6, F7 and that didn't work.  I have also gone into the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse and then an error message box saying "Unable to connect to the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver" displays (see the images below).  At that point I don't have the option to disable the touchpad this way.  So what is the answer?

Pointing Device 1.png

Pointing Device 2.png

Pointing Device 3.png

Pointing Device 4.png

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Good Vibes!

Sounds like the driver may be corrupted!

Firsty, I'd suggest going to support for your region, then "Drivers & Manuals" and enter your laptop details. Now download & save the touchpad driver. Next, go to Device Manager>Mice & other pointing devices & unistall it. Restart your laptop. You may find that Windows will reinstall it - if not just install the driver you downloaded from the support site.

Once installed, you should now be able to disable it completely either FN+F5/6 or from the Mouse properties settings.

Answers

• finlux
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Good Vibes!

Sounds like the driver may be corrupted!

Firsty, I'd suggest going to support for your region, then "Drivers & Manuals" and enter your laptop details. Now download & save the touchpad driver. Next, go to Device Manager>Mice & other pointing devices & unistall it. Restart your laptop. You may find that Windows will reinstall it - if not just install the driver you downloaded from the support site.

Once installed, you should now be able to disable it completely either FN+F5/6 or from the Mouse properties settings.

• Good-Vibes
    Good-Vibes Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for your reply finlux...after searching some more I fortunately found the solution and it was staring me in the face at the top of the keyboard...LOL...so there was no need to download, uninstall, reinstall anything...as usual, the solution to most problems are the simplest...have a GREAT day Smiley Happy

Acer Aspire 5517 Touchpad ON-OFF (1).png

Acer Aspire 5517 Touchpad ON-OFF (2).png

• finlux
    Options

Ha! Isn't that true!

Glad you're sorted - have a great day too!