z220 bluetooth 4.0 compatibility

Options
asturkinos
asturkinos Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives

Hello,

I just boutgh an Acer Liquid Z220 and I'm quite disappointed to find out this model is not compatible with bluetooth LE. I researched a bit before purchasing and all reviews and information indicated it was fully compatible. 

I updated to the latest version available (security patch level 1st Novemeber) and tried to understand where the problem is coming from. My suspect is something might be wrong with the firmware but I cannot be sure.

My main reason for buying this unit was to use it together with a Livescribe smartpen that requires bluetooth LE; so my purpose is compelted defeated and I just would like to find out if an update to fix my problem is expected soon.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Answer

• asturkinos
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not very prone to give up early I decided to dig deeper into this issue on my own. I finally got it fixed yesterday so I’m sharing just in case somebody run into the same ridiculous bug.

After giving it some thought (bear in mind I’m not an expert on Bluetooth or Bluetooth LE; not even a professional developer) I started thinking about recompiling Android’s kernel and play with the source code a bit; and that’s actually what I did, I went so far as to download all tools and the code from Acer’s support portal and getting it compiled without any changes to test my setup.

Then, right when I was ready to get my hands dirty with the code I had the idea of researching similar problems for other platforms and I came across something promising (for the cyanogen ROMs for Nexus) and something worrying (hardware related problems for Samsung S3). I decided to start with the basics and I gave the cyanogen bug a try and I realized I was facing the very same issue.

What was the problem then? Well, apparently somebody forgot to write the appropriate xml file to grant Android permissions to access the Bluetooth LE hardware. I listed files on my device’s /system/etc/permissions folder and I confirmed the file was missing. Next challenge was, of course, that the file system is protected so I had to root first.

This device is quite new and low-end so it’s not generating much interest out there I suppose, but luckily for me the Kingroot method worked like a charm: just push the .apk (downloaded from XDA developers) with adb, install and run. Then connecting with adb shell and running su got me there. I copied the file android.hardware.bluetooth_le.xml (downloaded from the forum I found the comments on the cyanogen bug but you can find it on most Android repositories) to the device with adb push, move it to the right location (/system/etc/permissions) and run chmod 644 to assign the correct file rights (this part is important, it took me a while to realize what was wrong but I was lucky again when I tried to open the xml file with ES file explorer from the device and got access denied). After restarting all my Bluetooth LE apps started recognizing the hardware.

Funny enough I repeated the process with another unit and everything worked again but it took longer for the app I was trying to use to recognize the hardware (the one to connect with the smart pen, it’s called Livescribe Link) and kept saying: “your device is not compatible”. But in the end it worked and was able to connect to the pen successfully.

I draw two lessons from this experience:

-First (negative): there is a general lack of software quality control and testing. How come such an easy thing can be forgotten? Are you guys advertising all over the place your great  hardware features and you don’t even bother to test them before releasing (not even one but, to my knowledge at least two different Android updates, I’m sure a lot more)? These days everything is about getting new things quick, if they are out and don’t work, no worries, “we’ll fix them in the next update”. I guess that’s the reason people flock to Apple, or maybe it’s happening to them too and it’s just how the world revolves nowadays. Well, I find this trend very sad…

-Second (positive): With some patience, time and luck you can do a lot of things. A big thanks to all those that by putting their insight and ideas out there helped me find a workaround for this issue.

I hope this helps if you’re facing Bluetooth LE issues.

Regards.

Answers

• asturkinos
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not very prone to give up early I decided to dig deeper into this issue on my own. I finally got it fixed yesterday so I’m sharing just in case somebody run into the same ridiculous bug.

After giving it some thought (bear in mind I’m not an expert on Bluetooth or Bluetooth LE; not even a professional developer) I started thinking about recompiling Android’s kernel and play with the source code a bit; and that’s actually what I did, I went so far as to download all tools and the code from Acer’s support portal and getting it compiled without any changes to test my setup.

Then, right when I was ready to get my hands dirty with the code I had the idea of researching similar problems for other platforms and I came across something promising (for the cyanogen ROMs for Nexus) and something worrying (hardware related problems for Samsung S3). I decided to start with the basics and I gave the cyanogen bug a try and I realized I was facing the very same issue.

What was the problem then? Well, apparently somebody forgot to write the appropriate xml file to grant Android permissions to access the Bluetooth LE hardware. I listed files on my device’s /system/etc/permissions folder and I confirmed the file was missing. Next challenge was, of course, that the file system is protected so I had to root first.

This device is quite new and low-end so it’s not generating much interest out there I suppose, but luckily for me the Kingroot method worked like a charm: just push the .apk (downloaded from XDA developers) with adb, install and run. Then connecting with adb shell and running su got me there. I copied the file android.hardware.bluetooth_le.xml (downloaded from the forum I found the comments on the cyanogen bug but you can find it on most Android repositories) to the device with adb push, move it to the right location (/system/etc/permissions) and run chmod 644 to assign the correct file rights (this part is important, it took me a while to realize what was wrong but I was lucky again when I tried to open the xml file with ES file explorer from the device and got access denied). After restarting all my Bluetooth LE apps started recognizing the hardware.

Funny enough I repeated the process with another unit and everything worked again but it took longer for the app I was trying to use to recognize the hardware (the one to connect with the smart pen, it’s called Livescribe Link) and kept saying: “your device is not compatible”. But in the end it worked and was able to connect to the pen successfully.

I draw two lessons from this experience:

-First (negative): there is a general lack of software quality control and testing. How come such an easy thing can be forgotten? Are you guys advertising all over the place your great  hardware features and you don’t even bother to test them before releasing (not even one but, to my knowledge at least two different Android updates, I’m sure a lot more)? These days everything is about getting new things quick, if they are out and don’t work, no worries, “we’ll fix them in the next update”. I guess that’s the reason people flock to Apple, or maybe it’s happening to them too and it’s just how the world revolves nowadays. Well, I find this trend very sad…

-Second (positive): With some patience, time and luck you can do a lot of things. A big thanks to all those that by putting their insight and ideas out there helped me find a workaround for this issue.

I hope this helps if you’re facing Bluetooth LE issues.

Regards.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

good job!

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • marcusmalfait
    marcusmalfait Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Well done, can now connect with Bluetooth to my bracelet watch by using the health app on my smartphone acer liquid z220. Thanks a lot. Marc.

• robbie2412
    robbie2412 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    As I am not a programmer or any kind of expert is this issue cleared in updates to the ACER Z220?