Broken laptop lid hinges Please also let me know which model this happened to this?

Westindieman
Westindieman Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello all. 

Can I open a thread and discussion to see how many peoples Acer has broken lid hinges within the first 3 years? Please also let me know which model this happened to, this would be useful to see if there is an inherent design or process fault.

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• Bobak
    Bobak Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi there,

I have the same issue as reported by many. The right hinge just broke. I tried to glue it back with no success.

Did you find out if there is a design flaw, which is likely with so many reports on this?

Thanks

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,265 Trailblazer

Google search keyword broken laptop hinge and any consumer laptop manufacturer ( such as Acer, or Asus or Dell or HP) to see how many hits you get. Due to being a very high stress point, broken hinges are common in plastic framed cases with lids that are opened & closed too much. Only much more expensive commercial-grade ruggedized metal framed laptops can withstand this kind of abuse. .

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,311 Trailblazer

Usually it's not the hinge that breaks, since those are made of metal, but the plastic mounts where the screws go in. Did your hinge actually break? I think I've heard of only one instance in the last 10-15 years where someone had the actual hinge break...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,324 Pathfinder
    edited February 2023

The only two brands that I know that come with metal hinges/mounts in the Acer Aspire price class are Huawei and Asus (new Vivobook Go, 16" OLED has a Lithium-Magnesium alloy frame). After dropping my Aspire 5 a515-54G at least 3 times outside on a solid stone floor the hinge finely cracked (100% my fault) and I super glued everything back, including the supports inside on the MOBO. I don't close the lid now but use the F1 Z key to put the laptop to sleep, when I travel I carefully close/open the lid with my thumb and index fingers at the bottom of the screen to avoid putting any stress on the hinge/lid mounts. I will probably buy a sturdier but more expensive laptop next year.😉

• jwallner
    jwallner Member Posts: 1 New User

I've had a lot chromebooks break there. Mostly due to students being rough on them and a little cheaply designed.

• PepaPPCRLA
    PepaPPCRLA Member Posts: 5 New User

It's just that it's badly made or ur bad at using it so yeah also close this bc you said it's over

This discussion has been closed.