Aspire One AO725-0687 Crystal Eye webcam - users frustrated

den458
den458 Member Posts: 3 New User

I bought this netbook new early 2013 with Win8 ([edited to comply with guidelines]). I did a complete Win8 backup, then did a clean install ol Win7x64 Home from disk. It's been a handy netbook, but the Crystal Eye webcam never worked in Win7 using drivers & patches from the Acer support site. Recently, I wanted the webcam working again, so I decided to restore Win8 from the old backup, everything seemed to recover fine, except the webcam still didn't work. Then I tried reinstalling Win7x64 Home again, everything fine again but the webcam. Then I experimentally tried clean reinstalling Win7x86 Home (32-bit), wondering if the 64-bit OS was somehow the problem - the webcam still doesn't work.

It reliably works for a few seconds, then reliably stops working, period. What is happening?

Typically, when I open the Crystal Eye webcam app, the webcam initially works fine for about 3-5 seconds, it then goes blank, a message usually appears "The connection to your webcam was lost". This is usually accompanied by messages in the system tray "This device can operate faster", implying I should connect it to a different USB bus to improve it's performance (this is of course impossible to do with an internal, innaccessible device like the webcam). I'm suddenly offered a LIVE UPDATE from Cyberlink, do I want to download it YES or NO. If I select NO, nothing happens, the webcam doesn't work. If I select YES, a file download of an update for the Cyberlink Crystal Eye begins, I direct it into my downloads folder. To install the update, the previous version of Crystal Eye must be removed, I agree to have the old removed, & the new is installed. After a restart & I open Crystal Eye webcam app, the webcam again works for a few seconds then quits, followed by more of the "connection lost" stuff.

One thing is clear: before I ever installed the Crystal Eye webcam app, the device manager showed the HD webcam as working with Microsoft drivers loaded; no matter how many times I install / reinstall the various versions of Crystall Eye webcam ap, the drivers never actually appear to change, they always remained the same Microsoft drivers.

This is unlike anything I've ever encountered. Why can't I simply download & install the webcam drivers? Why is the webcam functionality dependent on a Cyberlink-conceived application (that apparently doesn't install drivers to replace the default Microsoft drivers)? It is maddening.

I have many years of experience across dozens of computers & OS experience back to Win3.1. I have broad experience researching & installing drivers appropriate to satisfy hardware & OS compatibility. I'm 100% confident I can locate / download / install drivers per OEM instructions on the support site.

I just don't think (almost) anyone can successfully restore the AO725 webcam to WORKING in a Win7 or Win8 environment, judging from the countless others who also complain in frustration that following instructions from the ACER support site (&/or the Cyberlink.com support site) failed to recover functionality. Honestly, it gives me pause to consider ACER as a future replacement for my aging computers.

In my frustration, will I replace an otherwise useful Acer computer with another, new Acer computer? Not hardly, there are several other fully functional HP & Samsung laptops here with working webcams. Prices on Acers are competitive. Acer captures a lot of first-time buyers, but the long-term pain of solving an otherwise simple webcam problem by any other manufacturer will be fresh in my mind, & I'll probably think twice.

And my recent experience with loading & reloading versions of the Cyberlink.com originated Crystal Eye webcam app, hoping each time the webcam would stay working... what the heck is going on with that app? Do you think I'll be planning to send some $$ in your store? Or $$ on your products? You must be kidding.

Now, in my system tray, there's a message I can update to Windows 10 for free. Has any AO725-series owner upgraded to Win 10 & everything (like the webcam) still works? Or will Win 10 solve my webcam problem. Appreciate any input of Acer updates to Win 10 success, best wishes.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

Have you tried deleting the webcam from device manager. Then re-booting and see if you can run the correct drivers?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ