ACER V3-571G RAM problem

poremetej
poremetej Member Posts: 6 New User

I have noticed that my laptop shows that I have 4GB RAM, even though I fed it 2x8GB modules. I have upgraded my BIOS to 1.13 thinking that it might resolve this, but nothing changed. How come it is showing only 4GB?? When I try plugging only one module into, say, slot A, Windows start but with only 4GB RAM. If I plug it into slot B, computer won't start at all. Help!

Answers

• Hello,

Your laptop supports up to 8Gb - DDR3 - 1600MHz (2x4Gb).

Two memory modules of 8Gb can't work.

France
  • poremetej
    Hello Laurent,
    I tried booting the computer with a different 4gb module. It starts if I connect it to one slot, but doesn't when I try it in another.
  • Hello,

It starts if I connect it to one slot, but doesn't when I try it in another.

One only module in the second slot, that depends of the bios so the computer. That doesn't often work.

You have to insert two memory modules.

Here are the original memory modules:

Spoiler
    KN.4GB03.005SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333.NAN.LF
    KN.4GB03.009SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333.NAN.LF
    KN.4GB03.013SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600.NAN.LF
    KN.4GB04.005SODIMM.4GB.DDR3L-1333.MIC.LF
    KN.4GB07.001SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333.KINGSTON
    KN.4GB07.003SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600.KIN
    KN.4GB09.005SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600.ELP.LF
    KN.4GB0C.001SODIMM.4GB.DDR3.1333.UNB
    KN.4GB0C.004SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600.ADATA
    KN.4GB0G.012SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333.HYN.LF
    KN.4GB0G.019SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600.LF+HF

You'll find the part number under the bar code (sticker on the original memory module).

E.g. KN.4GB03.005=KN4GB03005*********

France
  • poremetej

Ok, first I must admit something: I am not a very smart man.

I just tested my modules in another laptop and have found out that I actually have 2x4Gb modules, for a total of 8. I misread the labels.
    The bad news is that the other laptop reads them fine - shows a total of 8 when I connect both, shows 4Gb when I connect only one.

Which means that it's a most likely a motherboard problem in my Acer. I updated the BIOS to the latest version available on the site.

Would you happen to have any other ideas by any chance? :/

• Hello,

The error is human so no problem. I make mistakes too Smiley Happy.

I thought you had upgraded your laptop.

If I understand correctly, you have two original memory modules of 4Gb. Correct?

Now you only see 4Gb and apparently the slot B doesn't work.

These ones works with another laptop.

Have you tried to clean this slot with a spray duster? Are the contacts shiny or matte?

France
  • poremetej
    Sorry for the late response. Originally I hade 2 modules for a total of 6gb - a kingston 4gb and a hynix 2gb, which made for a weird mix. I upgraded it to a pair of 4gb high speed kingston modules, even the sticker on the modules states that they are a pair of 2 modules, should go together I guess.

I tried cleaning it last night when I came home with alcohol and a cotton swab but still didn't work. Today I'll try to find and buy somewhere that can of compressed air to try something like that.

It is maybe worth noting that I live in Abu Dhabi ATM, a place with A LOT of dust, even in home. Is there any other blockage that comes to mind due to air wents taking more dust than usual that could make problems like this? My laptop is out of warranty and I feel confident about opening it (I changed its original keyboard myself when I ruined it with spilling some juice over it, RAM survived this episode, only the keyboard was ruined).

Also, there are official Acer service stations here in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, what do you think would they be able to repair the motherboard, or would I have to change the whole thing? Changing the MB does not appeal to me - I'd just rather buy a new laptop then.
  • Hello,

1. Did your laptop work with these new memory modules and show 8Gb?
    2. Could you give me the part number of these kingston memory modules?
    3. If you re-insert the original memory modules, do you see 6Gb?
    4. would they be able to repair the motherboard?
      No they will replace the motherboard.
    France