Acer One 10 unable to boot to USB Please advise.

drgump
drgump Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2022 in Tablets

I am unable to boot to USB. I have tried:

1) multiple usb thumb drives

2) changing secure boot to disabled in setup

3) rufus software

4) ubootin software

It sees the USB drive but when I choose it after hitting F12 during boot, it just boots to Windows. Please advise.

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

1) which OS are you trying to boot from USB?

2) on Rufus, did you set partition scheme as UEFI only?

3) USB flash drive formatted to FAT32?

the OS must have a trusted signed EFI file to be able to boot.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • drgump

Thanks for the quick response.

1) trying to boot Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit iso

2) I have tried all the partition schemes including UEFI only

3) USB drive is formatted FAT32.

Should the safe boot be enabled or disabled?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Secure boot disabled.

try the 32 bit version, if i remember correctly x64 version will not boot.

also check ClairelyClaire:

http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/Acer-Aspire-Switch-10-amp-Ubuntu/m-p/264248#M13134

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • drgump

When I tried to use the 32-bit version, Rufus wouldn't do it with the message: When using UEFI Target Type, only EFI bootable ISO images are supported.

I read through the link you gave but it just seems like another rabbit trail I've already been following.  Thanks for your help, though.

• hendrapoerwita
    hendrapoerwita Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same as my experience...why Acer could not fixed this issue??
  • faxfixer
    faxfixer Member Posts: 1 New User

How do you know if the file is EFI signed and how do you make it EFI signed.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

The distributors of the OS you are trying to boot is the one who would have signed it, though there is costs associated with that process. Similar to a security certificate it's validates that the image has not been tampered with.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FarzandShah
    FarzandShah Member Posts: 1 New User
    Dear Concerns,
    I have the same issue with my Acer One 10, i have also Followed UEFI only and USB drive is formatted FAT32. but when device boot it will show Acer Screen right after ACPI Error occurs and device rebooted with blue screen please help i have also disconnected the battery for 5 hours but no response please guide about ACPI error looking forward for solution 

Thanks & Regards
    Syed Farzand Ali.
  • FoulOne
    FoulOne Member Posts: 3 New User

Selling a product with the worlds crappiest operating system preinstalled is already a big mistake. Creating a computer where you cant get the microsoft garbage off of it is even more idiotic. If I had known of this problem beforehand I would have NEVER bought the computer to start with. Now I have a pile of $2400 acer microsoft garbage I dont even like to use (complete with popup ads on my desktop, viruses, malware, poor security and all the other problems Linux doesnt have to deal with). Following this post looking for a solution as you are.

• FoulOne
    FoulOne Member Posts: 3 New User

I have tried both 32 and 64 bit. No change. Since microsoft obviously paid acer a lot of money to have their crappy operating system preinstalled on their products, its logical to assume that acer was also paid to design a system that prevents people from removing the microcrap software. Therfore acer certaintly has the answer to this problem. Linux is the second largest operating system in the world and it is usually installed by booting to a USB. So no doubt, acer sees this problem in the millions. They are well aware.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

The tablet in question is something 7-8 years old... Seems to be a little late to be complaining that it runs Windows. :) You can always install a 32bit Linux distribution on it, though you might have issues with some drivers. There have been people who have done that, though I don't know if anyone got the dock working with it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.