acer aspire switch 10 no bootable device

Options
Mallos42
Mallos42 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hello, I am working on an Acer Aspire Switch 10 2 in 1 (So it has no usb port, and no cd drive) when I turn it on it flashes the Acer logo for a second, and then jumps to "No bootable device" with a picture of a hard disk and a magnifying glass. This was not happening before. I was able to get to recovery and attempt that, but it was not working. Now it seems when I go to the UEFI settings, the boot order options do not have anything other than IPV4 and USB Device for possible boot options. 

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

On BIOS information, can you find any reference to eMMC SSD?

if not, probably it's an hardware failure.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

On BIOS information, can you find any reference to eMMC SSD?

if not, probably it's an hardware failure.

• Mallos42
    Options

Definitely don't see that. Earlier I was able to get ot recovery and DISKPART showed me one disk with 4 volumes. Just before this started, I checked again and it showed one disk with one volume. It also seems to have been formated somehow because it said it was a RAW filesystem. This may have been my fault as I was following some instructions online for trying to clear an error with sfc /scannow. At no point though did I ever see the eMMC line in the boot menu though. Is there any way to definitively test this and make sure the eMMC is shot? I'm working on this for a friend, and she dropped it so that is a pretty good possibility at this point. 

• IronFly
    Options

maybe you can try to boot from an USB flash drive with windows 8.1 or windows 10 (x86 version) and check if the eMMC can be recognised.

you need to disable secure boot from BIOS , just to be sure you will able to boot from the flash drive.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-boot

windows 10 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

windows 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

• Mallos42
    Options

Since this doesn't have a place for a usb stick, can I use a micro sd card? 

• IronFly
    Options

She didn't give you the keyboard dock or the USB adapter cable?

doh

no, micro SDcard is not bootable.

• Mallos42
    Options

Ah. Well, the cable was eaten by a dog, and the keyboard won't connect. She got another keyboard that only kinda works. 

I wish I had read this before I went out and bought a micro sd and started working on it. I looked up how to make a bootlable sd card, and I found the information on it, but you say it won't work on the tablet? 

• IronFly
    Options

as far as i know, it will be enabled only after booting to windows.

at this point....there is not much more to do. Smiley Sad

• Mallos42
    Options
    I appreciate all the help. It does seem to be hardware failure.
  • IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy