Iconia A500 ~ Automatic Update "Network Coverage" issues

97aceuser
97aceuser Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

I've seen several lengthy and scattered posts on this, but I want more specific information if possible.

"Network coverage is currently poor. Please move to a location with better coverage to continue."

This is the message I get when trying to Check now for updates.

I have installed acer's ICONIA Tab Enhanced Updates app from Google's Play Store, but I don't have anything I can do with that app. There are no buttons to select (Update, Uninstall, Open, etc). I have not reset (paper clip) or factory data reset (software settings option) my device.

1. Today, I went to the acer support site ( http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers ) and successfully upgraded my image version, as well as ran the gps patch. I had success with those, but still I cannot check for updates.

I have heard the Over The Air (OTA) update servers for some older tablets are no longer in use. Is there a way to access the newer servers? And how am I to know when new updates come available if there are any on the above website? I'm really hoping I don't have to just visit the site every now and then to manually run the image again.

2. Also, the Operating System (OS) update only updated the image, not the Android version, so are there updates that would go higher than 4.0.3? 

3. Finally, while under the documents tab, I saw "kernel source code (for Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich)" and downloaded it. I have not run this update on my A500 yet until I have knowledge of what it is exactly, and why I should or should not install it.

Thanks in advance for your expertise! Please number your answers so they can be easily followed by future readers. New questions can continue in sequence as they arise. My personal A500 stats follow:

acer ICONIA A500  ~  Android 4.0.3 ~ Kernel 2.6.39.4+

Image version:  Acer_AV041_A500_RV21RC03_PA_CUS1 (formerly Acer_AV041_A500_RV05RC01_PA_CUS1)

Build number (also FLEX Version):  Acer_AV041_A500_1.064.00_PA_CUS1

Image P/N:  FM.S14A0.02X

CPU: nVidia ~ 1.0 GHz ~ v. T20

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

kernel source code is not something you want to try to install. That's why you found it under documents. It's a document. It's a blueprint of how the kernel is put together for people who want to modify their kernel.

There are no updates at Acer that I can see. 

From what I understand the "Network coverage is currently poor" is not about your wifi, but attributed to Acer's servers.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

1) simple answer, no more updates for your device, it's an old device and no more maintened. you can't connect to the newer servers since they use a different protocol.

2) you have the latest update, don't loose time to search for others official updates.

3) kernel is usefull only to people who know how to "cook" new roms but kernel is still based on old 4.0.3 so.....even new rom porting are based on very old kernel, not worth updating.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mozeca
    mozeca Member Posts: 1 New User

This is a real shame, and as a customer, I'm entirely disappointed.

My tablet (a501) has gone for repairs several times, last time it came back from acer with what appears to be a custom ROM.

I thought the inaility to update had something to do with this. Now it's clear, ACER HAS GHOSTED THE PRODUCT AND CARES NO MORE TO SUPPORT END-USERS. You dont see this with other manufacturers and it is highly disappointing.

In addition to not being able to update the OS, now in google play, apps are no longer compatible with my device. Forexample, last week, dropbox worked perfectly. Now, it has vanished and i can no longer install it.

The same shame goes for chrome and many other basic apps which have always worked, and continue to work with other newer or older devices. 

It was somewhat obvious that this would eventually occur, as apps began to crash constantly... They appeared to run-funny, more and more, as their updates were being released overtime. I know this may have a lot to do with app developers and coding, but why do these continue to run flawlessly in other devices, that are just as old and continue to have support/update releases...

Thanks for turning your back on us ACER. Very considerable and mature of your organisation.

My advice for anyone out there considering any purchase, is, ignore the marketing glitter, be aware that in a few years time, if your devices hardware actually survives, or gets repaired (worngly), your device will eventually be slowly decomissioned remotely, to a slow painful death, without any consideration or upgrade offers.

Peace.

• sledjenkins5
    sledjenkins5 Member Posts: 1 New User

I would agree with you, but my iconia a500 is running 3.2 and the latest supported update is 4.0.3, and I have the same error message

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

Kind of an old thread to be replying to... The error message tells you that it can't connect to OTA servers, since those servers have been down for years now . You can still do updates manually by downloading the update files from the support site and installing them from an SD card. I can't remember if you need to do each one in sequence, but that is the norm on the older models.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lole
    lole Member Posts: 2 New User
    @billsey hi kind of an old reply to reply to :D but my tablet doesnt have an sd card port. Is there any other possibility? thought about unzipping the documents on mycomputer and then sending it via wetransfer to the tablet.
    Would that work?
  • billsey
    Nope, the low level recovery requires an SD card. I idn't think any of the models were made without SD slots, though several had the slots hidden behind covers... What model do you have?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Seekoei
    Seekoei Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi
    I am trying to update my a500 manually. I am very new to this and unsure of the process. I have done some research on how to achieve this but I am still not certain which update I can use. My tablet is running Android 3.01, kernel 2.6.36.3, build Acer_A500_1.105.01_EMEA_GEN3. Which update (s) do I need to install to get to the latest software? As far as I can tell the latest software for this device is Android 4.0?
    Thanks in advance.
  • billsey
    What you need to do is upgrade in steps, first to 3.1, then 3.2 and finally 4.01. However I don't see that first step up on the support page any longer. There is an EMEA version for the next step, but it looks like it's a custom image for a specific vendor. I'm not sure how best to proceed, you might be able to get Acer Support to find you the correct image, but they may have wiped it after this much time has elapsed...
  • Ibo
    Ibo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Well, there went 2 whole sleepless nights of my time trying to sort out my Acer A500 tablet, only to find it is basically obsolete - forget it. 
    Disgraceful shame really, it is still a nice bit of kit - it still runs.. just very disappointed that after all the kit I've bought from Acer that they can't have one person assigned to just helping users update their OS. 
    Too many damned companies are doing this these days.
    I've had Hundreds of pounds worth of kit just wiped out. Still perfectly operational - if only some old geezer in a workshop would update the odd driver once in a while.
    One thing's for sure, if I absolutely MUST replace kit because it is unsupported and leaves me having to drop toxic materials into landfill for no good reason and use up new (and diminishing) world resources - I most certainly will never ever EVER purchase from that manufacturer again. 

• billsey
    I'm sorry, I don't see any posts from you with questions or problems with your A500. That's a pretty old model, but they did do updates to it over the initial lifespan. Were you not able to get upgraded to 4.x? Which OS version is on it?
  • soojinc
    soojinc Member Posts: 1 New User
    I now have two Acer products that are no longer supported that's it for me