S7 191 - information regarding BIOS updates?

HarryPotter
HarryPotter Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi Acer community!

I have an S7-191 which I absolutely love. But there are two issues with the laptop that I find somewhat annoying:

* The occasional loud fan noise. And;

* The computer shuts down when the battery approches 35-40%, and when I plug in the power cable and start up the computer again, it indicates the battery only has 7% capacity left, rather than 35-40%.

I have never upgraded the BIOS on this laptop, so it still runs on an early version. 2.09 I believe. At the download page for BIOS updates, there is only one version available to download (2.19), and all the description says about the upgrade is: "Fix v2.16 upgrade issue"

So does anyone here recall what has been fixed in the last couple of BIOS updates? Anything regarding my two issuses with the laptop?

I am somewhat hesitant to update the BIOS without a list of changes. I recall some old s7-191 BIOS that bricked quite a few laptops, so I dont want to risk that when I dont know what I might stand to gain from an updated BIOS.

I hope someone here at the Acer community forum can shed some light on my questions!

Thanks,

HarryPotter

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

If you are still in warranty:

In-Warranty Support

Acer offers both chat and phone support for in-warranty products, to help you return your product to factory working condition. To determine your warranty coverage, view your warranty document.

Chat:

Chat with an Acer support professional. 

Phone:

Dial 866-695-2237.

Hopefully someone from Acer will respond that  can find this information in a file that lists all bios changes for a particular bios.

• HarryPotter

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Unfortunately, I was one of the early customers of this laptop, so I can't make use of that chat service.

I was hoping that a rep from Acer would see this thread and respond.

I really hate when companies neglect to inform their users what the firmware updates changes. This is kind of a deal breaker to me. My next laptop will in all likelihood not be one from acer, just because of this behaviour : /

• HarryPotter

I had not, so I just gave it a try.

I charged the battery up to 100%. Let it idle there for 2 hours. Then I removed the power cord and used a paperclip to reset the battery. I then started the laptop and drained the battery. I then waited 5 hours before doing a full recharge of the battery.

The only thing that changed is that my S7 now enters sleep/hibernation when the battery reaches ~50%, instead of ~40% before the procedure.

Smiley Sad