Windows 8 Upgrade

Options
speaker01
speaker01 Member Posts: 3 New User

I have tried several times to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Each time that I tried, after the first reboot my PC froze and I ended up with a black screen. I enlisted the help from an online Microsoft bod and unfortunately he was unable to complete the installation. The solution that he eventually came up with was to update my BIOS, however he did not want to do this because of the risks involved. He downloaded the upgrade assistant from Acer. The software is now on my PC and it shows three steps, the first being to update my BIOS, Install Win 8 and update drivers.

I am aware of the possibilty of things going wrong and I am a bit wary of doing this, however if I don't I have a copy of Win 8 that I can't use.

Any help/advise would be most gratefully received.

My PC is a Acer Aspire T180 BE7H.

Answers

• Tabbiekatz
    Tabbiekatz Member Posts: 760 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Unfortuantely, because of the way Win 8 is designed, the bios needs to be updated to a UEFI bios. The bios that you have is the standard Legacy bios. Win8 is a UEFI OS now. This is Microsofts doing. Sorry.

• speaker01
    Options

Thank you for responding to my query. I know that working with the BIOS can be a scary thing. Is there any possibility that the BIOS could be changed or is that not possible at all.

• Allan_Rozario
    Allan_Rozario Member Posts: 16 New User
    Options

Hi speaker01,

Update the BIOS to the latest version. Ensure the battery and ac adapter is conneted while flushing bios.

• speaker01
    Options

The latest update doesn't say anything about UEFI. I think that anyone that has the same motherboard as myself is stuck with Windows 7, however in saying that Win 7 is a good OS. I took advantage of Microsofts (or so I thought) generous pre-release prices and now I am left with a DVD that I won't possibly have any use for unless Acer comes up with a solution.

The latest Bios upgrade for my PC is dated 2008 which I feel wouldn't do much good for my situation.

Thanks for your suggestions

This discussion has been closed.